How to Bet on the English Premier League
Do you want to make money betting on the English Premier League? Our guide to EPL gambling can help you do just that. You’ll find information on how to get started, a list of top sportsbooks, and expert advice.
We also explore the specific traits of the competition that make it so much different from any other soccer league and help you learn how to bet on English Premier League games.
Here’s the full table of contents, so you can jump straight to any section that is most interesting to you. Or just read through the whole thing!
EPL Betting Guide – Table of Contents
Where to Bet on the EPL
Our team spent a lot of time looking for the best EPL betting sites based on various criteria. The goal was to find the online sportsbooks that offer the highest Premier League odds, excellent promotions, and plenty of English Premier League betting markets.
Of course, that was on top of general factors like safety, user interface, fast payouts, and reliable customer support service.
All our recommended sports gambling sites are excellent in these areas. They also have the best EPL betting apps if you’re looking for mobile action.
You should also consider your personal preferences before deciding where to bet on the English Premier League. Answering the following questions can help you determine the right site for you.
- Are bonuses and promotions important to you?
- Are the betting options you want available?
- Are your preferred banking options available for deposits and withdrawals?
- Are other soccer leagues and different sports that you bet on available?
It’s also important to decide whether you want to bet on desktop or mobile.
The top-rated betting sites for the EPL work well on pretty much every device and you can’t go wrong with any of them. The following two pages provide even more details on your options.
Why Bet on the Premier League?
Some of you might wonder if EPL betting is the best idea or if other soccer competitions might be a better choice.
There’s no straight answer to this question, so we won’t give you one. Instead, we provide information about the main advantages of betting on the English Premier League for real money and let you decide.
We also highlight the downsides, so you have a more balanced view of the matter.
Let’s start with the benefits of gambling on the EPL.
Pretty much every bookmaker on the internet covers the English Premier League and that’s a huge plus. You can decide between hundreds of sportsbooks and the one you like will almost certainly offer betting on EPL matches.
Furthermore, you can use multiple sportsbooks and that opens the door to more promotions and consistently higher odds.
If a betting website disappoints you, you can instantly leave it and find numerous other options.
Many Bonuses and Promotions
Some obscure competitions might be excluded from bonuses and promotions but not the English Premier League.
All the regular offers of the online betting sites can be used to gamble on the EPL and you can often find exclusive promos for the competition.
Common EPL Betting Offers
- Free Bets – Some of the top English Premier League betting sites offer free wagers for big games from the competition.
- Enhanced Odds – You can often see markets with enhanced odds for a limited time and that’s a great way to earn extra value.
- Moneyback Deals – In some cases, you can get your losing EPL wagers back under specific conditions.
- Acca Boosters – Pretty much every bookmaker that offers any form of accumulator boosters includes the English Premier League as one of the competitions you can target.
That’s only a shortlist of the most popular EPL bonuses and promotions. You’ll likely find even more offers that could bring you extra cash.
Live Betting Opportunities
Every single game of the English Premier League is available for live betting at pretty much any online sportsbook that offers in-play gambling.
That makes it easy to find live EPL betting action and plenty of unique markets that are not available before the start of the matches.
Popular Live EPL Betting Markets
- Next Team to Score – If you expect a team to find the net soon, you can place a wager on the side to score the next goal.
- Next Player to Score – Similar logic, but this time you place a wager on the next player that will score in the EPL clash.
- Event to Happen in the Next X Minutes – You can bet on whether there will be goals, red cards, penalties, corners, and other events in the next 5 or 10 minutes.
- Method of the Next Goal – Available at many EPL live betting sites. You can pick between shot inside the box, shot outside the box, a header, penalty, and a few other options.
- Winner of the Rest of the Match – At any given moment of an EPL clash, you can bet on which of the teams will win the rest of the game.
The top sites for EPL in-play betting are getting more and more creative, so you could expect even more exciting opportunities. The same applies to pre-match betting which leads us to the next point.
Huge Variety of EPL Betting Markets
No soccer league can compare to the English Premier League when it comes to the sheer number of betting markets at your disposal.
In some sportsbooks on the web, you can find more than 100 different options. Such an exceptional variety dramatically improves your chances to find profitable wagers. It also opens the door to many EPL betting strategies that are not applicable to other competitions.
High Odds and High Limits
The English Premier League attracts a lot of betting action, and the bookmakers want a piece of it. They are in a constant battle against each other which forces them to provide more and more benefits to stay on top of the competition.
One of the direct consequences are the high EPL betting odds. Betting sites typically operate to lower than usual margins for Premier League betting markets, especially the most popular ones
Simply put, you can consistently get very competitive Premier league betting odds.
Abundance of Free EPL Info
You can find loads of free information on the English Premier League on the internet that you can use to prepare for your wagers.
Here are some examples of what’s available.
- Historical Data – You can find all sorts of EPL stats going back years.
- Current Stats – The latest numbers for the current EPL season are always easy to find and free.
- Player Stats – If you want to dig deeper for a specific player, you can do it in one of the many databases for the EPL.
- Team News – You can find relevant information about injuries and suspensions with a quick Google search.
- Expert Analysis and Predictions – If you are interested in the opinions and predictions of soccer experts, you can find plenty of them. We have some of our own, as you will find out later in this Premier League betting guide.
- Video Highlights – You can find full EPL games and many video highlights that will provide a visual perspective on the teams and players in the competitions.
- Advanced Metrics – There are plenty of advanced metrics nowadays that can help you dig even deeper. Opta’s stats, for example, provide perspectives we didn’t have in the past.
There are so many useful sources on the web when it comes to EPL betting that it would be foolish to ignore them.
Extensive TV Coverage
Another good reason to bet on the EPL is that you can easily watch the games in pretty much every country. The league is covered everywhere and it’s always essential to have first-hand observations if you’re going to risk real money.
On the negative side, the starting times of most English Premier League matches are very inconvenient for certain regions like the Americas and Asia.
The good news is that you can always watch replays of complete EPL games on the web, or at least find extensive highlights.
Public Betting Creates Value
Most of the advantages of EPL betting we highlighted so far are focused on convenience and good opportunities to prepare your selections. This one is purely about your chances to find profitable wagers.
There are millions of people who bet on EPL games every week. A large majority of them are recreational players who are mostly looking to have some fun and add an extra thrill to the matches.
They don’t prepare well, and they often follow the hype. When enough of their wagers go in one direction, that often creates value in the odds for the opposite outcome.
High Volume at Betting Exchanges
If you prefer using betting exchanges, you probably know that the low volume for certain leagues and markets is arguably the biggest issue with them. You often can’t find a match for your wagers, but that’s not the case with the English Premier League.
The league attracts lots of users and you can always find action, at least on traditional options such as the following.
- Match Winner
- Asian Handicap
- Over/Under 2.5 Goals
- Both Teams to Score
- HT Result
All of these are available, and the volumes are pretty high. You can also get action for many other EPL betting markets that are almost dead for other soccer competitions.
Available for Bet Builders and Cash Out
More and more sites for soccer gambling online are adding side features like Cash Out and Bet Builders nowadays. The former allows you to settle your wagers before the games are finished and you can create unique wagers with the latter.
The sports and leagues included are usually limited, but you can almost always use them for the English Premier League. They provide interesting opportunities and are tools that can be very powerful in the right hands.
Of course, we need deliver a balanced opinion here and betting on the EPL does have some downsides, too. Let’s take a look at them.
Disadvantages of EPL Betting
- No Mistakes by the Bookies – The top sites for gambling on soccer are very careful with their EPL odds and you won’t find any mistakes.
- Unpredictable – If you bet money on the EPL, you should be prepared for all sorts of surprises because this is one of the most competitive soccer leagues in the world.
- Information Overload – The attention that the Premier League gets from fans and media creates another trap. You can easily buy the hype and let the narrative impact your EPL bets.
If you are interested in betting on English football, as they call it in the UK, you should certainly be careful with the problems highlighted above.
Getting Started with EPL Betting
If you want to start betting on the Premier League but you have no experience, we can help you get started.
Simply follow the steps below that are designed to make things for simple for anyone who doesn’t know how to bet on the EPL.
Decide Where to Bet
We already shared a list of the top Premier League betting sites, and we strongly recommend picking one of them. The difference that a good bookmaker makes is huge, especially when it comes to your chances to win money from your English Premier League bets.
Here’s what the best online sportsbooks for EPL soccer betting bring to the table.
- Safety – You can bet on the EPL online without worrying about the safety of your cash or personal information.
- A Higher Chance to Win – The large number of markets and the high odds make it much easier to be profitable in the long run.
- Additional Sources of Income – You can find all sorts of promotions for when you bet on Premier League games and futures.
- Ease of Use – The leading sites and apps for online EPL betting come with a seamless user interface.
- Fast and Convenient Payments – If you make money from English soccer betting and request a payout, you will receive the cash in a reasonable timeframe.
Once you have decided on a sportsbook, opening a new account is easy. You simply have to fill in some personal details and add your login credentials.
Learn the Basics of Soccer Betting
If you don’t have any experience with soccer betting of any kind, you should invest some time preparing before you risk your money.
Premier League gambling is unique in certain areas that we cover later, but the fundamentals of betting as a whole and betting on soccer still apply.
That’s why we highly recommend checking the following two pages if you are a beginner in the field.
Set a Budget and a Staking Plan
The next important step before your start betting Premier League games is to set a budget and decide on a staking plan. The main goals here are not to lose too much money too quickly, and to make sure that your initial bankroll lasts for a while.
The harsh reality of sports betting is that very few people win in the long run. Even if you develop a strong Premier League betting strategy, you will still have bad streaks and it’s important to protect your capital.
You can find useful tips on how to do that on the following page.
Get to Know Your Betting Options
If you want to bet on the Premier League online, you can pick between a ton of different options and it’s important to find the most suitable ones.
Here’s a quick overview of the popular ways to target the league.
- Premier League Match Betting – The most obvious option would be to bet on EPL games. It’s also one of the most profitable ones with the right strategy because of the sheer number of matches every year. You can pick between all sorts of markets, including match winner, Asian handicaps, over/under 2.5 goals, both teams to score, and many more.
- EPL Futures Betting – You can bet on the Premier League winner, the teams that will finish in the top 4, the relegation candidates, and many other long-term markets.
- Premier League Props – Many people who bet on the Premier League for money ignore props because they are unorthodox in most cases. This is a mistake because some of the unusual markets could bring you nice profits.
- EPL Live Betting – You can bet on every Premier League match live and we have a great guide to in-play soccer gambling that can help you get started.
We recommend trying the different options to find out what works for you. You could also read the follow posit which was written to help people who want to learn how to bet on English football and make money.
Study the Teams and Players
The key to success when it comes to betting on the English Premier League online is to know the teams and the players well.
If you can properly evaluate them, you have a strong chance of recognizing profitable wagers. Here are some basic guidelines for studying EPL teams.
- Overall Quality – Start with the overall quality by position and try to figure out if the team has weak spots.
- Squad Depth – The Premier League is among the most gruesome soccer leagues in the world and all clubs are forced to rotate eventually, so depth matters.
- Coaching – A team with a good head coach can overperform and vice versa which is why you should always evaluate the coaching staff too.
- Playing Style – It’s important to understand the style of each team, especially for goal-based betting markets.
- Strong and Weak Sides – Try to identify the strong and weak sides of every single team.
We have an extensive guide to analyzing soccer teams that features more detailed instructions.
It’s also important to evaluate EPL players, especially the stars of each team. Here are the main attributes you have to explore.
- Overall Quality – The obvious start would be to determine how good the player is.
- Consistency – Some EPL athletes look like world beaters in one game and like Sunday league players in the next one, so it’s good to know if you can expect some consistency or not.
- Injury Record – Some players are prone to injuries and that’s always something to consider when working on your EPL predictions, especially for futures and outrights.
- Discipline – If a team has multiple players that are in danger of being sent off, you should be extra careful.
- Age – Young players obviously tend to improve, while veterans inevitably start to decline at some point in their careers.
You should check out our page on analyzing soccer players for more useful tips that apply to the English Premier League.
You can also use the following resources for more information about the different EPL clubs and players.
- Official EPL Website – The official website of the league features loads of stats, news, and other useful information.
- TransferMarkt – Your go-to place for transfer rumors, injury records, and other important news surrounding the EPL.
- WhoScored – One of the best sites for soccer stats is an excellent resource if you want to bet real money on the English Premier League.
- OptaJoe – Opta’s Twitter account dedicated to English soccer often delivers unique stats you won’t find anywhere else.
At this point, you know how to bet on the Premier League. It’s time to dig deeper and try to figure out how to find profitable opportunities.
Our section with EPL betting advice can certainly help, so let’s check it out.
Premier League Betting Tips and Strategies
Making money from your EPL wagers is not an easy task and most people end up losing in the long run. It takes a lot of time and energy to reach a point where you actually can beat the bookies.
Fortunately, our soccer experts have prepared a long list of English Premier League betting tips that can help improve your results.
Basic EPL Betting Tips
If you are just about to start, you should focus on the basics. Here are some tips that can help you avoid the most common beginners’ mistakes.
- Don’t Place Too Many Wagers – If you are betting on every single EPL game, you’re probably placing way too many wagers.
- Don’t Be Biased – If you follow the EPL, you probably have a favorite team. Make sure that your bias doesn’t ruin your Premier League betting picks.
- Watch the EPL – You can spend a ton of time looking at stats they can only tell you so much. Actually watching games gives you another level of insight.
- Try Different Markets – Don’t focus on a single market. Explore the opportunities at your disposal and try different things until you find what’s working.
With the fundamentals covered, it’s time to move on to more advanced tips.
Study the EPL Schedule
The English Premier League’s schedule is intense, and you should always consider what time of the year it is. That’s important when it comes to betting on the EPL because the condition of the teams and the players heavily depends on it.
Here’s what to expect at during different periods of each campaign.
- Start of the League – The first 2-3 months of every EPL season can be very tricky. Many teams have new managers and new players, the transfer window is still open for the first few rounds, and the stars might be tired if there was a big international tournament like the World Cup. Be careful, observe, and don’t risk too much money at that stage.
- Intense Winter Period – Around the month of November, the English Premier League becomes hectic. The top teams have accumulated some fatigue from playing in UEFA competitions, the Christmas period is almost here, and the FA Cup starts in January. Squad depth is usually tested around this time.
- Season Finale – The last two or three months of the campaign are very exciting. You should always consider the aims of each side. Teams that are battling against relegation can be extremely dangerous, while certain clubs can’t change their fortunes much and they often lose motivation. The top teams are usually involved in the FA Cup and/or UEFA competitions, too, so they rotate heavily.
You should always consider the big picture when placing your wagers on the Premier League.
Understand the Big Rivalries
Traditions are important in English soccer. The derbies might not be as fierce as they were 20 years ago but matches between bitter rivals are still intense and often hard to predict.
You should always account for the emotional charge of the match.
We’ve often seen significantly weaker sides win big derbies purely based on their motivation. The crowd also helps in such moments, and you never know what might happen.
Always Consider Squad Rotation
Every Premier League manager is forced to rotate at some point.
The stronger teams play in UEFA competitions, and they usually change their lineups right from the start of the league. Even the weaker sides eventually have to rely on at least 16-17 players to avoid fatigue and injuries.
That’s why you should always consider the schedule when betting on EPL matches. Try to figure out if the manager is about to send his best players or if he has to make tough decisions based on the long-term goals of the club.
Even the top sides are not the same if a few of their best players are on the bench.
Factor in Public Betting
No other league generates as many wagers as the EPL and that’s a factor you always have to consider when betting on the competition.
The sheer volume placed on every match leads to odds movement and that could be your chance to find good bets.
That’s why you should try to figure out where the public money went. Are most bettors backing the favorite or are they looking for a surprise? Check out the media narratives surrounding the game to find out.
Look for Trends
The state of the English Premier League is not static. We see all sorts of changes every year and some of them can be predicted early.
Make sure to keep your eyes open for emerging trends because catching them before most bettors could be very profitable. Here are few examples of signs that a team might be going in a certain direction.
- A Lack of Balance – We’ve often seen teams struggle in a certain area in the past. Some can’t score, others can’t keep a clean sheet. Often, the problems might be disguised by a strong performance on the other end of the pitch, but they eventually take over and a crisis emerges.
- Injuries – Once the injuries start piling up, a bad streak is almost inevitable.
- Young Players – EPL history is full of cases of young players inspiring their teams out of the blue, so make sure to follow hungry and talented youngsters that get their chance to play.
- Atmosphere Around the Club – If you see indications that the dressing room lacks harmony, it’s only a matter of time before the same happens on the pitch.
It’s important to follow all teams closely because every small sign of change could bring you a lot of money.
If you are looking for specific EPL betting strategies, we have a bunch of those that can help you win money. Here are three of our favorite ones.
- Betting on underdogs that face a strong team that just had a game in Europe.
- Backing new teams to get relegated instantly.
- Betting on players with weak discipline to get booked by strict referees.
If you want to learn more about them and other interesting EPL strategies, check out the following post.
EPL Betting Picks and Predictions
If you don’t have the time to work on your own EPL picks, we can help. Our soccer experts carefully follow all the games and news in English soccer.
They also check the odds for every single match with the goal of identifying the best available betting opportunities. You can find their English Premier League predictions and recommended wagers in our section with EPL gambling picks.
We publish predictions for every round, and we cover futures, too. Here are the latest entries.
Our English Premier League Blog
Another good place to visit is our Premier League blog. Our writers share the latest odds and their take on them, analyzing the different outcomes and highlighting the ones that might contain some positive expected value.
We also share our opinions on the different teams and players based on the latest news and results. It’s a helpful resource that can save you a lot of time and provide interesting angles for various English Premier League betting markets.
Check out the latest posts to see for yourself.
- Odds to Win the 2022-23 EPL Player of the YearThe 2022-23 English Premier League season is upon us. Following weeks of waiting, the world’s most popular...
- 8 Bold Predictions for the 2022-23 EPL SeasonIt’s always fun to make some bold Premier League predictions before the start of every season. With...
- Early Title Odds and Analysis for the 2022-23 EPL SeasonIt seems like only yesterday that Manchester City secured that comeback victory over Aston Villa to pip...
- Ranking the Top 20 English Premier League Players in HistoryWho are the best Premier League players of all time? Frankly, you could spend hours trying to...
Other Soccer Competitions to Bet On
Soccer is the most popular sport in the world, so there are plenty of other competitions you can bet on from all over the globe.
If you’re looking for leagues that are like the English Premier League, you can try the following European competitions.
- The Spanish La Liga – Many believe that La Liga is better than the English Premier League. That’s a subjective topic, but the competition certainly delivers plenty of betting opportunities.
- The Italian Serie A – Another leading European soccer league with a bunch of star players and many ways to bet.
- The German Bundesliga – The Bundesliga is a strong league with a huge fanbase and excellent youth development programs.
- The French Ligue A – The last big European soccer league that produces some of the best players in the world.
- The English Championship – The second tier of English soccer has become very competitive recently and the level is comparable to many other leagues in Europe.
There are also exciting leagues on other continents, but you have to be more careful with them from a betting perspective. The following guides deliver essential tips for the American MLS and the Australian A-League.
We cover other exciting tournaments, too, most of which are international. Check out our guides for information and tips on them.
- FIFA World Cup – This is the most prestigious international tournament in soccer and the dream of every player to win.
- European Championship – The top countries in Europe meet once every four years to determine who’s the best.
- Copa America – The most prestigious tournament in South America features all teams from the continent and two countries from other regions are invited for every edition.
- Africa Cup of Nations – The leading African countries play against each other in AFCON.
- CONCACAF Gold Cup – Another continental tournament, this time for North America.
- English FA Cup – This is the oldest club competition and one of the most unpredictable soccer tournaments in the world.