- Established in 2011
- Website – DraftKings.com
- Based in Boston, MA
- Telephone – (508) 690-0014
- Email – Support@DraftKings.com
Since being founded in 2012, DraftKings has quickly become the biggest daily fantasy sports provider in the United States.
Based out of Boston, DraftKings hosts more contests in a wider variety of sports than any other provider in the DFS market.
Since Major League Baseball became the first American pro sports organization to invest in DraftKings back in 2013, the company has gone on to explode onto the national scene.
If you’re interested in playing a daily fantasy contest, there’s a good chance DraftKings has the sport you’re looking for. The site hosts hundreds of contests per day, with thousands in prizes just waiting to be awarded. DraftKings paid out more than $1 billion in prizes in 2016 alone, and they continue to expand.
Let’s break down all that DraftKings has to offer.
If you’re new to DraftKings, the first thing you’ll have to do is create an account. Doing so is simple. All you need to do is create a username and password and enter some personal information, such as your country and state of residence, email address and physical address.
Who Is Able To Play
Not everyone in the United States is able to play, however. The following states have regulations prohibiting players from entering paid contests on DK:
You must also be at least 19 years of age in order to create an account if you are a legal resident of Nebraska or Alabama, and at least 21 if you are a legal resident of Massachusetts.
Legal residents of Alabama, Delaware or Idaho physically located outside of those respective states are eligible to deposit funds, enter contests and earn prizes. Canadian citizens are also eligible to play.
Making A Deposit
If you’re interested in entering paid contests, you will obviously need to deposit some cash into your account first. DraftKings accepts a number of payment methods, including the following:
- American Express
You are allowed to deposit as much as you’d like, though you will have to contact DK support if you want to increase your deposit limit. All deposits are final, though, so you won’t be able to obtain a refund if you suddenly feel a sense of regret. Just be smart with your money.
How to Withdrawal
If you’ve had some success playing DK, you’re going to want to withdraw some of that sweet spending money. After you win, the winnings show up in your DraftKings account almost immediately. Players may withdraw via paypal or via the payment method with which they used to deposit.
DraftKings processes all payouts between 9am and 5pm Eastern time Monday through Friday. It typically takes between two and seven business days for a payout to be processed and issued.
How to Play
DraftKings makes the process of playing incredibly easy. Make your way into the contest lobby and choose from their wide variety of options. DK offers contests in the following sports:
- National Football League (NFL)
- National Basketball Association (NBA)
- Major League Baseball (MLB)
- National Hockey League (NHL)
- Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
- Canadian Football League (CFL)
- League of Legends (eSports, LoL)
- Soccer (EPL, MLS, La Liga, Liga MX, Champions League)
DraftKings uses a live scoring service, meaning players may follow their contests and see score update as live action occurs. Once a game’s scheduled start time passes, players may no longer adjust their lineups. Different sports use different scoring systems, so be sure to familiarize yourself with the rules prior to entering a contest.
Once a user has selected a sport and contest, they must now draft a team. Different contests have different rules, but the primary premise is to draft a team of players at or under a certain salary cap.
The best players will typically come with the heftiest price tags. Once the player has filled the roster as they see fit, they will officially hit “enter” to join a contest.
DraftKings is accessible via mobile device. Users may access the site using a mobile web browser, and DK also offers a mobile application that can be downloaded to Android and Apple devices.
Does DraftKings Offer a Deposit Bonus?
DraftKings offers new players the chance to double their initial deposit up to $600 as well as free entry into a contest with a $3 entry fee. DraftKings also rewards players that recommend the site to others.
If users post a specific referral link via email, Facebook or Twitter that causes others to sign up and deposit on DK, new players will receive $20 worth of DK dollars. The player that refers others to DK will also receive a prize.
Any bonus expires four months after it is initially accepted. The initial welcome bonus is released at $1 per every 100 Frequent Player Points (FPPs) earned. Every time a player enters a contest, FPPs are earned. If players accumulate enough FPPs, they may exchange those points for free contest entries and other prizes, such as DraftKings merchandise.
Not all contests are created equal. DraftKings offers a number of different contest types, as listed below:
- Guaranteed Prize Pool (GPP) - A GPP is typically a large-field, tournament-style game that offers higher cash prizes at the top. This varies per contest, but typically the top-10 percent of finishers will win cash.
- Leagues - Leagues are a relatively new addition to DraftKings. Players may form and customize their own private contests to play with friends.
- 50/50 or Double-Up - Players that finish in the top half of scoring receive double the entry fee in prizes.
- Head-to-Head – A one-on-one contest in the same format as 50/50. Whichever player wins, wins back double the entry fee.
- Qualifiers / Satellites - These are contests with low entry fees. Winners and players that finish high in the standings may gain free entry into other contests.
- Multipliers - Similar to 50/50s, only on a larger scale. Entrants may earn anywhere from 3x to 10x their initial entry fee.
- FreeRoll - Contests that are free to enter. Winners receive DK dollars rather than cash prizes.
- Beginner - If you’re new to DraftKings, you may enter beginner matches and play with others new to the scene. These are a good way to gain experience without having to go up against the best in the business.
- Step Tournaments - Players may enter “step tournaments” and keep rising through the ranks as they continue to win. The first step starts with a $2 entry fee. If a player keeps winning, they may progress through all four levels and win a prize up to $200.
Is DraftKings a Scam?
DraftKings and other daily fantasy sports providers are legal thanks to a loophole in the 2006 Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act. This loophole was carved out so that people can run their season-long fantasy leagues online, and daily fantasy sports happily stepped in and took advantage. As a result, playing on DraftKings and other DFS sites is completely legal in the United States.
Going in, however, you must know that not everyone succeeds in daily fantasy sports. As the player pool has grown over the years, more and more players have begun to use sophisticated projection systems and other tools to help build themselves optimal lineups.
While those can only account for so much, casual players may have a hard time winning big-time money among an expanding sea of players that play for a living.
It DraftKings a scam? No. Are you likely to get rich quick playing DK, especially early on? Absolutely not. So, going in you should know that you’re playing for fun and have the chance to win a little bit of cash on the side. There’s always the chance you could hit the jackpot and win thousands, but keeping expectations in check is likely wise, especially for new players.
DraftKings is the leader in daily fantasy sports for a reason. They offer the widest array of contests among all big-time DFS sites, and they are constantly updating their offerings in order to appeal to a wider range of customers. Why not get started and try your hand today?