Guide to Playing Andar Bahar
Are you ready to learn how to play Andar Bahar?
Our Andar Bahar guide covers what you need to know to get started. That includes the rules, payouts, odds, side bets, variants, and more.
But first, why bother to learn the rules for Andar Bahar? What’s so great about this game?
Here are some of the reasons why we like playing Andar Bahar.
- The probability of winning is approximately 50%.
- All players have an equal chance of winning.
- Both online and land-based casinos offer it.
- The house edge is as low as 2.15%.
- Andar Bahar is easy to learn.
That last point is important. How many casino games have you avoided because the game looks too complicated to learn? We’re looking at you, craps.
So, if you want to play a fast-paced casino game with good odds that also happens to be as easy to play as Casino War, then you’ll want to check out Andar Bahar.
What About Katti?
Katti is another popular game in India with gameplay like Andar Bahar. This is probably why so many people think they’re the same game and use the two names interchangeably.
Katti is like Andar Bahar, but it’s also different. So different, in fact, that it’s best to think of Katti as a variation of Andar Bahar. A variation most people play at home than at the casino.
We’re going to explain how to play Katti and show you the differences between it and Andar Bahar later.
How to Play Andar Bahar
In this section, we’re going to explain the Andar Bahar game rules. But let’s start with some basic terminology, because games are always easier to understand when you know the proper terms.
Here are the most important Andar Bahar terms you need to know.
- Joker – This is the first card dealt, also known as a trump, house, or middle card. This is the card your side needs to match to win.
- Andar – This means “inside” in Hindi. It is the first side to receive a (draw) card.
- Bahar – This means “outside” in Hindi. This is the second side to receive a (draw) card.
- Range – The number of cards drawn before the card that matches the joker card is dealt.
Now, what’s the objective of Andar Bahar? What’s the goal?
The objective of Andar Bahar is simple. Your goal is to guess which side, Andar or Bahar, will receive the card that matches the joker card first.
Here’s a quick example to show you just how simple the game Andar Bahar is.
- The dealer draws a 10 of hearts. This is the “joker” or “middle card”. It’s placed between the Andar and Bahar spots on the table.
- You place your bet (on Andar or Bahar).
- The dealer draws the first card and places it on the Andar side.
- If the card is anything other than a 10, then the dealer draws a second card and places it on the Bahar side.
- If that card is anything other than a 10, the dealer will draw another card for the Andar side.
The game will continue like this until the dealer draws a card with the same rank or value as the joker card – in this case, a 10 of diamonds, spades, or clubs. The suit doesn’t matter.
Using our 10 of hearts example, here’s how to win playing Andar Bahar.
- If you placed your bet on the Andar spot and the next 10 in the deck appears on Andar, you win. If it appears on Bahar, you lose.
- If you placed your bet on the Bahar spot and the next 10 in the deck appears on Bahar, you win. If it appears on Andar, you lose.
That’s all there is to knowing how to play Andar Bahar. You choose Andar or Bahar and hope the first card that matches the joker ends up where you guessed it will.
Andar Bahar Payouts and Probabilities
Here are the probabilities and payouts for Andar Bahar.
- Andar payout = 0.9 to 1
- Andar winning probability = 51.50%
- Bahar winning payout = 1 to 1
- Bahar winning probability = 48.50%
The Andar payout is lower because its probability of winning is higher. And its probability of winning is higher because it’s the first side to receive a card.
Andar Bahar Rules Variation
Standard Andar Bahar rules have you place the first draw card on the Andar side.
But another option is to use the joker’s color to decide which side to start with.
- If the Joker is black, the first card is Andar.
- If the Joker is red, the first card is Bahar.
You won’t see this Andar Bahar variant or rule in online casinos. It’s more common in friendly home games.
Side Bets in Andar Bahar
Now that know the rules for how to play Andar Bahar, it’s time to shake things up with some side bets. These can add a lot of excitement as the payouts can be as high as 120:1.
Here are the most common Andar Bahar side bets.
- Joker Prediction
- Bet on the Range
- Mid-Game Wager
Let’s look at how each side bet works.
For the Joker Prediction side bet, you’re looking only at the joker card that gets drawn.
Here are the different outcomes you can bet on and the probabilities and payouts for each.
|Joker Prediction||Chance of Success||Payout Odds|
|Value of 2 to 7||46.15%||1:1|
|Value of 9 to Ace high||46.15%||1:1|
|Red or Black||50%||0.9:1|
|Suit – Heart, Diamond, Spade, or Club||25%||2.8:1|
One thing that makes the Joker Prediction side bet unique is that this bet is settled before you place your bet for the main game.
Bet on the Range
The Bet on the Range side bet focuses on the number of cards drawn between the joker and the matching card.
|Number of Cards Dealt – aka Range Prediction||Chance of Success||Payout|
|1 to 5||23.8%||
|6 to 10||21.7%||
|11 to 15||16.9%||
|16 to 25||21.8%||
|26 to 30||6.09%||
|31 to 35||3.69%||
|36 to 40||1.89%||
A successful 41+ range prediction pays 120:1, which is high for any casino table game.
The third most common Andar Bahar side bet is more like a betting variation.
The Mid-Game Wager allows players to make a second bet after the joker and the first Andar and Bahar cards are on the table.
This side bet or variation is one of the few ways you can improve your chances of winning when playing Andar Bahar. We’ll look at a few more in the next section.
Andar Bahar Strategy Tips
While we’d love to help you crush this game with some amazing Andar Bahar strategies, the truth is that we can’t.
Andar Bahar is a game of pure chance. There’s nothing you can do to change the outcome of a hand.
That said, we do have a couple of tips for Andar Bahar that you can use to increase your overall chances of winning.
Get the Lowest House Edge by Betting on Andar
The best bet is on Andar because it has a slightly lower house edge. Since the first draw card is always for Andar, it can win without Bahar ever getting a card.
This slight advantage does come with a smaller payout, though.
Even despite that, the house edge is still 33% lower compared to betting on Bahar.
Stick With the Better Bonus Bets
We generally don’t recommend you place side bets on casino games. They usually increase the house edge – sometimes significantly.
But if you are going to make a side bet playing Andar Bahar, these are the ones you should make.
- Color bet – 50-50 chance – pays 0.9:1
- Below “8” – 46.15% chance – pays 1:1
- Above “8” – 46.15% chance – pays 1:1
- 6-10 or 16-25 Mid-range bet – 21% chance – pays 4:1
While going after 120:1 payouts is exciting and CAN be profitable, you’ll need a lot of luck on your side. Stick to these side bets when playing Andar Bahar instead.
How Katti is Different from Andar Bahar
Many people assume Andar Bahar and Katti are the same game. That’s not quite true.
You now know that Andar Bahar plays with a single Joker combined with Andar and Bahar draw cards.
Katti is a little different.
Here are the main differences between Katti and Andar Bahar.
- In Katti, players pick a Joker from 13 cards on the table.
- There is an indicator card, which tells you which side (Andar or Bahar) will receive the first draw card.
You’ll still make the same bets as Andar Bahar – on Andar or Bahar.
How to Play Katti
Here is how you play Katti.
- Thirteen cards are dealt face-up in front of the players.
- A player picks a card.
- You place your bet on the inside or outside position (like when playing Andar Bahar).
- The dealer turns over an indicator card. This card determines the starting position for the first draw card.
- A black card (spade or club) – the draw starts on the side you bet on.
- A red card (diamond or heart) – the draw starts on the opposite side
For example – if you picked the Andar (or inside) bet and a black indicator card comes up, the draw starts on Andar. If, instead, a red indicator card appears, the draw starts on the Bahar (outside) side – giving you a slight disadvantage.
The game is then played like classic Andar Bahar with cards alternating positions back and forth until a card that matches yours appears, determining whether you won or lost based on Andar or Bahar.
Example of a Katti Hand
Let’s look at an example using Katti game rules.
- The dealer starts by taking the deck of shuffled cards and placing the first 13 face-up on the table.
- You decide to select the third card, which is the queen of clubs.
- You place a bet on the inside (Andar) position.
- The queen of clubs now takes the role of the joker, used in standard Andar Bahar. When another queen appears, the round ends.
- Before the draw for a matching queen begins, the dealer draws the indicator card. We’ll say it’s the jack of hearts. Because it’s a red card, the deal starts on the Bahar side (outside position).
- The draw goes back and forth from Bahar to Andar to Bahar to Andar to Bahar until, finally, a queen of diamonds appears on the Andar side. You won the round.
That’s all there is to the game of Katti.
To summarize, Katti is different from Andar Bahar in the beginning stages – in determining the joker card and in using an indicator card to determine which side gets the first draw card.
From there, Katti plays the same as Andar Bahar.
|Differences Between Andar Bahar and Katti|
|Joker||Determined by the first card revealed by the dealer and placed face-up between the Andar and Bahar positions||Players select the joker cards from 13 cards dealt face-up on the table|
|Order of the draw cards||The draw always starts on the Andar side||The draw starts on the side determined by the indicator card (black for Andar, red for Bahar)|
|Game availability||Hosted in many online casinos, with both RNG and live casino tables||More of a home game; Katti tables aren’t available in many (if any) online casinos|
Where to Play Andar Bahar
You’ve learned all about the Andar Bahar game rules, payouts, odds, side bets, and variations like Katti.
You now know how to play Andar Bahar.
The next step is to use this knowledge so that you never forget it. Meaning, you should go and play Andar Bahar now.
If you do, we recommend you play Andar Bahar online.
- You can play Andar Bahar for free online. This is a great way to learn and practice the game because you don’t have to worry about losing money due to making a silly mistake.
- You can test the game to see if you even like it. Why spend money to figure that out if you don’t have to?
- You can play for lower stakes compared to land-based casinos. For example, most online casinos let you play for as little as $1 compared to $5-$10 or more in land-based casinos.
- You can claim a match deposit bonus from an online casino, which can add hundreds or even thousands of dollars to your bankroll.
There are several software providers and online casinos that make and offer the game.
For example, Bovada has a standard RNG (animated/digital) Andar Bahar game. This is the best option for playing the game for free and at your own pace. You can also play for real money.
If you prefer playing live, we recommend you check out the top live dealer casinos. In recent years, live dealer studios have started to introduce Andar Bahar.
For example, Ezugi introduced their live dealer Andar Bahar game in November 2020.
Whatever option you choose, you’ll be able to play Andar Bahar from the comfort of your own home.