Canada Sports Betting – Best Site for 2022
If you love Canadian sports, you will want to take a minute to read through this sports betting Canada guide. You can take your excitement about those sports to the next level when you bet on the outcomes, point spreads, and other details.
Many different options appeal to different people. So, instead of telling you one site that trumps the others, we will offer a few recommendations for the best betting sites in Canada. We will also explain how sports betting laws vary by province and what you can expect from different sites.
Canadian sports betting sites have plenty of betting markets and features to offer. Keeping track of all of those features can make it challenging to find the site that will work best for you. That is why we will also take the time to explain how we rank these sites and how you can use our rankings to find your favorite. Let’s get started by exploring our recommendations.
Best Sports Betting Sites in Canada
|Rank||Betting Site||Exclusive Bonus||Get Started|
|60% Up To $1,000||Visit Site||Visit Site|
|50% Up To $250||Visit Site||Visit Site|
|125% Up To $2,500||Visit Site||Visit Site|
|100% Up To $500||Visit Site||Visit Site|
|100% Up To $1,000||Visit Site||Visit Site|
If you are ready to get started, you can simply click one of the links above and jump right in. We promise that these sites are some of the best sports betting sites in Canada.
Of course, we understand that many of you will want some more information first. So that’s what the rest of this page is for. We are here to explain everything you need to know about online sports betting in Canada. So let’s dive in by exploring how we rank these betting sites.
How We Rank Betting Sites in Canada
We don’t expect you to blindly trust us when we say that these sites are the best options. So, we want to explain how we find these sites and how we decide which ones we want to recommend. Hopefully, understanding our process will help you feel confident in our recommendations.
Here at GamblingSites.com, we have an extensive process for how we rank gambling sites. To create this list of the top betting sites in Canada, we use a similar process, but we filter everything through a Canadian lens. Here are a few examples.
- Safety and Security – Of course, safety is our main priority. We only recommend licensed sites, and we demand that sites have basic security techniques. Some of our recommended sites are licensed by the Kahnawake Gaming Commission, which is a Canadian organization.
- Banking Methods – We always look for sites that offer a variety of banking methods, but there are a few specific methods that work best for Canadian gamblers. For example, many sites offer Interac or MuchBetter transactions, which specifically work with Canadian banks.
- Canadian Sports – Many of these sites are international, so they include betting markets on leagues from several countries. So, we specifically look for betting markets on Canadian sports, like the CFL.
These are just a few examples of the features that impact our rankings. But they should give you an idea of how we specifically focus on what Canadian gamblers want when we rank the best Canadian sportsbooks.
How to Choose Canada Betting Sites
The site that works best for you might not be the same as those that work well for other people. That is why we want to empower you to select sites that match your preferences.
First, create a list of sites you want to consider to get started. You can use our recommended sites as a starting point, but you can also add or remove sites from that list based on information from other resources. Make sure that the sites on your list at least meet your essential criteria for safety and security.
Once you have that list, you can start comparing the sites on your list based on the criteria that matter to you. We suggest creating a table like this to help you see the basics at a glance.
|Betting Site||Welcome Bonus||Canadian Leagues Covered||Betting Features||Link|
|Bodog||100% up to C$400||NHL, NBA, Canada Premier League, MLB, CFL||Live Betting Early Cashouts Props Builder||Visit Now|
|Betway Sports||100% up to C$250||NHL, NBA, Canada Premier League, MLB, CFL||Early Cashouts Live Betting Enhanced Odds||Visit Now|
|TonyBet||100% up to C$150||NHL, NBA, Canada Premier League, MLB, CFL||Live Betting Early Cashouts Expanded Accumulators||Visit Now|
|20Bet||100% up to €100||NHL, NBA, Canada Premier League, MLB, CFL||Live Betting Free bet promotions Downloadable app||Visit Now|
Using a table like this will help you rank various betting sites in different categories. For example, you might like the betting features on TonyBet best, but Bodog might have the best welcome bonus. We recommend going through each column to note the site with the features you are looking for.
That will help you narrow down your options. If you get to the point where you are stuck between two or three different sites, check out our in-depth gambling site reviews to learn more about the sites you are considering.
Keep in mind that you don’t have to limit yourself to a single betting site. In fact, joining multiple betting sites can give you an advantage because you can compare odds and lines before placing your bets. You can also claim multiple bonuses when you join multiple sites.
Most Popular Sports for Sports Betting in Canada
Canada is known for excelling at winter sports, such as hockey, skiing, and figure skating. This excellence is reflected in the number of Olympic medals the Canadian teams have won during the Winter Olympics. But the sports that Canadians perform well on and the sports they bet on are not always the same. Here are some of the most popular sports for Canadian bettors.
- Ice Hockey – Hockey is Canada’s national winter sport, so it is not surprising that the NHL is one of the most popular leagues to bet on. Canadians love betting on who will win the Stanley Cup each year.
- Bodog is the best Canadian betting site for hockey fans because the site offers 70+ wagers on most NHL matches.
- Basketball – Most people think basketball is an American sport, but it was actually invented by a Canadian. The Toronto Raptors and the Vancouver Grizzlies represent Canada in the NBA, but you can also bet on plenty of American teams from betting sites in Canada.
- We recommend TonyBet for basketball betting because the site has a massive collection of live betting options and traditional line wagers on NBA games.
- American Football – Many Canadians love to bet on the NFL, even though the league has no Canadian teams. However, die-hard fans of the Canadian Football League can also find wagers on their teams on CA betting sites.
- Betway is one of the best Canadian sportsbooks for betting on football. They have plenty of NFL and CFL betting options. You can even bet on CFL futures before the season even begins.
- Baseball – When the ice melts, Canadians head to the baseball stadiums. The Toronto Bluejays represent Canada in the MLB, but there are also plenty of semi-professional teams you can bet on.
- Bodog is an excellent choice for baseball bettors. They have several MLB betting options, including futures, but they also have additional baseball betting options that include other Canadian teams depending on their season schedules.
- Football – Football or soccer is a sport that tends to have bursts of popularity in Canada, especially around the World Cup. You can bet on the Canadian Premier League or the several international leagues that have hired Canadian players.
- 20Bet is the best betting site for football bettors because the site has a massive collection of leagues that it covers. You can bet on football teams from all across Europe, as well as the Canadian Premier League.
These sports tend to be the most popular, so they are the ones that Canadian bookmakers focus on the most. You can always find a wide variety of wagers on these sports, so comparing the odds on different sites can give you an edge.
Most sites also include betting markets on other Canadian sports. For example, winter sports, such as alpine skiing, curling, and other events are often included. However, those options are less consistent because they depend on the various events and schedules. So, it is good to check these options every few weeks or so to see new betting options that may pop up.
Bonuses on the Best Canadian Sports Betting Sites
One of the benefits of using betting websites is cashing in on bonuses and promotions. All of the best sports betting sites in Canada have a variety of bonuses to offer.
Welcome bonuses are the most common. Our recommended sites all offer a 100% deposit match for your first deposit that allows you to double your bankroll for free. Each site has a different maximum bonus and different wagering requirements.
It is crucial to consider the terms and conditions of the bonus offer before you choose which bonus you want to claim. For example, Betway has a C$250 maximum bonus amount and a 10x rollover. On the other hand, you can only get C$150 on TonyBet, but the rollover is only 5x.
Those welcome bonuses are an excellent way to boost your bankroll when you first sign up. But you also want to choose a bookie that will continue offering promotions and rewards once you are an existing customer. So here are some other promotions to look for.
|Bonus||Description||Recommended Betting Site with this Bonus|
|Contests||You can earn bonus cash by making qualifying bets or getting a certain number of bets correctly.||TonyBet|
|Reload Bonuses||Reload bonuses are similar to welcome bonuses. They offer deposit matches, but they can be used on any qualifying deposit.||20Bet|
|Free Bets||Free bets pay you back if your wager loses, but you have to claim the free bet promotion before you place your bet. Only specific wagers qualify||Betway|
|Refer a Friend Bonus||You get a deposit match based on your friends’ first deposits when they sign up using your unique referral code or link.||Bodog|
These are just a few examples. Many online sportsbooks in Canada change their promotions regularly, so different contests and bonuses are always available. The more bonus options you have, the more likely you will be able to find ones that work well for you.
Banking Options on the Best Sports Betting Sites in Canada
Getting your money to and from your account is a critical part of online betting in Canada. If you use the wrong banking methods, you could end up paying fees or waiting weeks for your withdrawals to get processed.
When you are comparing different betting websites, make sure you look for sites that have several options to choose from. Here are a few banking methods that particularly work well for Canadian gamblers.
- E-wallets – Neteller, Skrill, and Paypal are all examples of e-wallets. They allow you to move your money from your bank to your e-wallet account so you can process gambling transactions without touching your bank account.
- Interac and MuchBetter – Interac is a Canadian company that specifically works with several banks throughout the provinces. You can use your Interac account as an e-wallet or a rapid transfer option. MuchBetter is a similar option that offers additional rewards for gamblers.
- Cryptocurrency – Bitcoin, Ethereum, and other altcoins are an excellent choice for gamblers because they are typically free and always anonymous. Most crypto transactions get processed within an hour of approval, so you won’t have to wait long to get your withdrawals either.
- Credit Cards – You can use your Visa or Mastercard to process transactions on Canada betting sites. It is essential to make sure that the name on your credit card matches the name in your account info to avoid delays.
Those banking methods tend to be the most convenient for Canadian bettors and bookies.
Many betting sites in Canada enforce a closed-loop policy to prevent money laundering. As a result, you may be required to use the same banking method for your deposits and withdrawals, but there are some exceptions. Check the terms and conditions page for more information before processing your deposits.
Provincial Sports Betting Information for Canada
Sports betting is legal throughout Canada, but the sites you have access to and the types of betting vary by province. Here is a little information on sports betting options by province. We have also linked additional resources so you can find out more.
|Alberta||Sports betting is available through Play Alberta and Sport Select||Alberta Gaming, Liquor & Cannabis Commission|
|British Columbia||Sports betting is available through the lottery corporation||Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch|
|Manitoba||Sports betting is available through PlayNow and Sport Select||Liquor, Gaming, and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba|
|New Brunswick||Sports betting is available through the Atlantic Lottery Corporation||New Brunswick Lotteries and Gaming Corporation|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||Sports betting is available through the Atlantic Lottery Corporation||Consumer Affairs Division|
|Northwest Territories||Retail betting is available through Western Canada Lottery Corporation||Department of Municipal and Community Affairs Northwest Territories Liquor, Gaming, and Cannabis Commission|
|Nova Scotia||Parlay wagering is available through the Atlantic Lottery Corporation||Alcohol Gaming and Tobacco Branch of Service|
|Nunavut||Retail betting is available through Western Canada Lottery Corporation||Department of Health|
|Ontario||Sports betting is legal, including single-game wagers||Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario|
|Prince Edward Island||Sports betting is available through the Atlantic Lottery Corporation||Consumer, Corporate, and Insurance Division|
|Quebec||Sports betting is available through Loto-Quebec.||Quebec Lottery Corporation|
|Saskatchewan||Sports betting is available through the Western Canada Lottery Corporation.||Indigenous Gaming Regulators|
|Yukon||Retail betting is available through Western Canada Lottery Corporation||Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs Division|
CLICK TO SEE MORE
Legal sports betting in Canada focuses on options that have been licensed by the provincial government only. For example, many provinces use their lottery corporation to manage sports betting. In addition to these province-regulated sites, Canadians can access out-of-area online bookmakers.
There are no laws against using out-of-area sites. In many cases, they are your best option. For example, in Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut, retail betting is available in stores, but there are no provincial betting sites online. Canadians in these areas can use out-of-area sites or sites that are regulated in other provinces as an alternative.
Online Betting Laws in Canada
One of the most common questions we get is this: is online sports betting legal in Canada? The simple answer is yes, but the truth is a little bit more complicated than that. Each province has different gambling laws that sports betting sites must follow.
We have dedicated a whole page to unraveling the laws for gambling in Canada so we don’t want to go into too much detail here. However, we do want to highlight a few specifics that apply to sports bettors in particular.
Canada’s gambling laws make a distinction between parlay wagering and single-game wagers. When sports betting was first legalized, you could only make parlay wagers. Since then, many provinces have legalized single-game wagers, but provincial sites may still only offer parlays. So, if you want to make single-game bets, you may need to use an out-of-area site instead.
Ontario is the most progressive province for gamblers. It became the first province to begin licensing international bookmakers in 2022. Alberta and Saskatchewan have announced that they intend to follow suit.
As more provincial commission open their doors to international bookmakers, Canadians should have more options. This change could increase competition between the province-regulated sites, but it is unclear how it will affect out-of-area sites.
Blacklisted Betting Sites in Canada
Because Canada’s gambling laws allow players to access sites from around the world, you have hundreds of options. The problem with having that many options is that it makes it challenging to recognize the scam sites.
As we investigate various sites, we update our rankings, but we also update our list of blacklisted sites. This betting sites Canada blacklist exposes some of the sites that have used shady practices to take advantage of their customers. Here are a few examples.
- BetDNA – Operia Costa Rica Casinos is the corporation that operates BetDNA and its sister sites. These sites operate without a license, and they are known to use pirated software. They have also had problems with delayed or canceled payouts.
- Skybook – This site has had problems with payouts taking months to process. Customers have also complained of their accounts being suspended without reason.
- TopBet – TopBet is another site that has been accused of slow payouts, and in some cases, they refused to pay customers at all. They have also issued fraudulent checks to trick customers.
We don’t take this issue lightly. Sites only get added to our blacklist if we have been able to verify multiple instances that cause significant concern. Our main priority is helping you avoid sites that have proven they don’t take care of their customers.
Sports Betting Canada FAQ
- What Is the Legal Minimum Age for Sports Betting in Canada?
- AThe legal gambling age is 19 in most provinces, but you can start betting at 18 in Quebec, Alberta, and Manitoba.
- Are Sports Betting Earnings Taxable in Canada?
- ANo, you do not have to report your sports betting winnings as income. So, you get to keep all of your winnings tax-free! However, if you are a professional gambler who uses sports betting as your primary source of income, you will have to report your earnings.
- Can I Bet on Single-Game Wagers in Canada?
- AYes! Some of Canada’s original sports betting laws prohibited single-game wagers, but those laws were changed in 2021. If you use provincial betting websites, you may have fewer options, but you can legally bet on single-game wagers using any of our recommended sites.
- How Will Online Sports Betting in Canada Change in the Future?
- AProvinces like Ontario, Alberta, and Saskatchewan are opening their licenses to international bookmakers. That could increase competition between sites or influence Canadians’ access to specific sites and software providers.
- What Are the Best Online Sports Betting Sites in Canada if I Want the Quickest Payout?
- AAll of our recommended sites typically offer payouts within 2-3 days. However, that process could take longer if you choose banking methods that take longer to get delivered. Make sure you use cryptocurrency or e-wallet options to get the fastest payouts.
Check out our fast payout betting sites for additional recommendations.
- Is It Safe to Bet on Online Sportsbooks in Canada?
- AYes! All of the sites we recommend offer a safe experience for the best online sports betting in Canada. They use SSL encryption and other techniques to protect your information. Check out our list of the safest betting sites if you want to be more cautious.
- What Kinds of Wagers Are Available on Canadian Betting Sites?
- AMost online sportsbooks offer a wide range of wagers, but the exact options depend on which sport you are betting on. You can expect to find straight bets, spread betting, totals, futures, prop bets, and accumulators on most sites.
- Can I Bet on Esports in Canada? What Other Betting Options Are Available?
- AYes! Esports betting is available on all of the best sports betting sites. Canada also allows betting on horse races, entertainment, politics, financials, and other cultural events. For example, bettors in Yukon have a tradition of betting on when the Yukon River will thaw every year.
Responsible Gambling Resources for CA
Sports betting is an excellent way to increase your excitement as you watch your favorite sports. It can also be a fun hobby by itself. However, if you are not careful, you may find your fun hobby turning into a significant problem.
Gambling addictions are relatively rare, but they can significantly impact your life if you do develop a gambling problem. If you find that your betting activities are starting to affect your relationships, your overall finances, or other areas of your life, it might be time to get some help. Here are some resources that you should check out if you want to learn more about responsible gambling practices.
These resources are a good starting place. You can also find specific organizations in your province that may be able to help. Please don’t let your hobby become a problem. Don’t be afraid to reach out if you have questions or if you need help. Many of these organizations exist to help people just like you, so you don’t have to worry about being judged.
Get Started with Online Sports Betting in Canada
Now that you have read our guide to sports betting in Canada, you should have an excellent idea of what to expect. The good news is that you have plenty of top-notch options to choose from.
All that is left is to choose a specific betting site that you want to use and then sign up. We have made it easy for you. Simply click the link for the site you want to visit in the table at the top of this page. That link will take you directly to the site, where you can click the sign-up button.
You will need to enter some basic demographic information, your email address, and a password to create your account. Once that is done, you can make your first deposit, claim a welcome bonus, and start betting! The whole process should take less than five minutes. So, what are you waiting for? Visit one of the best betting sites in Canada to get started today!