Joey Chestnut To Defend Hot Dog Eating Title While Serving on Probation
Key Highlights
- Joey Chestnut pleaded guilty to misdemeanor battery after a March altercation in Indiana.
- The 17-time Nathan’s champion received 180 days of probation but can still travel to compete.
- Major League Eating confirmed the incident will not affect his eligibility for the July 4 contest.
Joey Chestnut will return to Coney Island in July to defend his Nathan’s Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest title. The competitive eating icon is serving probation after a misdemeanor battery conviction but is cleared to travel outside Indiana.
Chestnut Cleared To Compete Despite Probation
Court records show Chestnut pleaded guilty in April to a Class B misdemeanor battery charge connected to a March 21 incident at an Indiana bar. According to reports, Chestnut slapped another man around 2 a.m. after the man recognized him and offered his hand for a handshake. He later received a 180-day probation sentence.
Chestnut’s attorney described the confrontation as a misunderstanding and said the 17-time Nathan’s champion accepted responsibility for his actions. Reports also stated Chestnut initially told police he had been drinking heavily and could not fully remember the encounter.
Despite the legal issue, a judge granted Chestnut permission to leave the state, allowing him to participate in the annual July 4th event at Coney Island. Chestnut later told reporters he had “no restrictions” tied to his travel arrangements during probation.
Organizers Back Chestnut’s Participation
Major League Eating officials confirmed the incident would not prevent Chestnut from competing in the New York event. Organization president Richard Shea said the altercation happened outside any sanctioned event and therefore did not violate the league’s conduct policy.
Chestnut remains the dominant figure in competitive eating history. In addition to his 17 Nathan’s titles, the 42-year-old holds dozens of world records across the sport. He reclaimed the championship in 2025 by consuming 70.5 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes.
Earlier this year, he won the Ultimate Bologna Showdown in Tennessee, winning for the third time in as many years and setting another world record.
Another Spotlight Moment Awaits on Coney Island
The upcoming Nathan’s contest was already expected to draw significant attention after Chestnut returned to the event in 2025 and won. He was banned from the 2024 Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest after endorsing the rival brand Impossible Foods.
Chestnut’s current legal situation now adds another layer of scrutiny heading into this year’s spectacle. It won’t be his swan song, however. He has publicly confirmed plans to continue competing beyond 2026, reinforcing his intention to remain the face of professional eating despite the altercation.