BAFTAs Betting – Best Sites, Tips, and More
When you think of movie award shows, your mind goes to the Critics’ Choice Awards, Golden Globes, and the Oscars — all award shows based in the United States.
But there’s another prestigious award show across the pond: the British Academy of Film and Television Arts, or BAFTA. And like the other award shows, you can bet on who or what will win. The best BAFTAs betting sites offer a wide range of wagers for the awards.
|Rank||VA Gambling Site||Exclusive Bonus||Get Started|
|125% Up To $2,500||Visit Site||Visit Site|
|50% Up To $1,000||Visit Site||Visit Site|
|50% Up To $250||Visit Site||Visit Site|
|50% Up To $1,000||Visit Site||Visit Site|
|50% Up To $1,000||Visit Site||Visit Site|
While entertainment betting in general can sometimes seem like it lacks strategy, betting on awards shows tends to be at least a little more predictable.
For example, you can look at things like whether there are current controversies in the industry that could shape the voting narrative; whether a movie, director, or actor has won at the other awards shows earlier in the year; how critics have received the nominated films; and your own personal opinions on the films and how they might stack up against the other nominees.
We’ve assembled this how to bet on the BAFTAs guide to help you learn to make more informed wagers, which lets you enjoy waiting on the outcome of a BAFTA wager while also enjoying the show.
Getting Started With Betting on the BAFTAs
Before you can place a wager on the British Academy of Film and Television Arts ceremony, you’ll need an online betting account. Here’s a quick rundown for how to do that.
- Choose an online sportsbook or bookmaker
- Our recommended BAFTAs betting sites listed above are a great place to start
- Create an account
- Give the site your name, address, phone number, and email, then click submit. Then check your inbox, open your confirmation email, and then click the link
- Make a deposit
- Go to the cashier. Choose the banking method you want to use and follow the instructions
- Claim a deposit bonus
- The top sites for betting on the BAFTAs online all offer a deposit bonus. You can use yours to make your BAFTA wagers and offset any out-of-pocket losses
- Place a bet
- You’re ready to place your first real money wager. Choose a market you want to bet on, enter how much you want to risk, then click submit
Joining an online betting site is really this simple. You can go from newb to making your first bet in minutes, especially if you skip trying to find a site on your own and join one of the BAFTAs betting sites we endorse instead.
Types of BAFTA Bets
The types of bets you can place on the BAFTAs depend on which site you join. Some bookmakers have odds for one or two categories, while others have odds on five to seven categories.
Here are the categories the top BAFTA betting sites offer odds with examples from the 2020 BAFTA Awards.
- 1917 -150
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood +300
- Parasite +350
- The Irishman +800
Best Leading Actor
- Joaquin Phoenix (Joker) -1500
- Taron Egerton (Rocketman) +500
- Adam Driver (Marriage Story) +1000
- Jonathan Pryce (The Two Popes) +1600
Best Leading Actress
- Renee Zellweger (Judy) -1200
- Charlize Theron (Bombshell) +650
- Scarlett Johansson (Marriage Story) +700
- Saoirse Ronan (Little Women) +1400
Best Supporting Actor
- Brad Pitt (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood) -3300
- Al Pacino (The Irishman) +800
- Anthony Hopkins (The Two Popes) +1000
- Joe Pesci (The Irishman) +1000
- Tom Hanks (A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood) +1400
Best Supporting Actress
- Laura Dern (Marriage Story) -1000
- Florence Pugh (Little Women) +350
- Margot Robbie (Bombshell) +700
- Margot Robbie (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood) +1000
- Scarlett Johansson (Jojo Rabbit) +1400
- Sam Mendes (1917) -700
- Bong Joon Ho (Parasite) +180
- Martin Scorsese (The Irishman) +850
- Quentin Tarantino (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood) +1000
Outstanding British Film
- 1917 -700
- Rocketman +600
- The Two Popes +700
- Sorry We Missed You +1500
- Bait +2000
- For Sama +2300
We searched more than six online bookmakers to find odds for all these categories. You should have multiple betting accounts anyway to compare odds because there are huge pricing discrepancies.
(More on that in a minute.)
But the lack of BAFTA odds reinforces this point. Get yourself an account with one or two of the best BAFTA betting websites and thank us later.
BAFTA Stats You Can Use to Make More Winning Bets
It’s hard to make money from entertainment betting. There’s too much randomness year to year, so there’s not a lot of data or hard facts you can use to make an educated bet.
Even the BAFTAs betting sites struggle to post sharp lines.
We don’t point this out to discourage you. Not at all. But we want you to have realistic expectations as to the type of money you can expect to make betting on the BAFTAs.
The good news is we found a few BAFTA stats you can use to make your bets. There’s no guarantee the following stats will help you win, but it’s better than having no information at all.
- A Mexican filmmaker has won Best Director four times in the past six years
- Americans have won Best Director 18 times compared to 13 for the British, 4 for both France and Mexico, and 3 for Australia
- Only four actors of color have won a BAFTA for Best Supporting Actor. The most recent winner was Mahershala Ali
- No woman of color has won Best Supporting Actress
- Only two British women won Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress in the same ceremony twice in the past 25 years
- A British actor did not win Best Actor or Best Supporting Actor in 2019. This was the first time since 2012
- British actresses account for nearly half of the winners for Best Supporting Actress
As we said, there’s no guarantee that these stats will help you make a winning bet. After all, there are roughly 6,700 members who vote on who or what they think deserves to receive a BAFTA.
Winners are subjective, to say the least.
But you can use these stats to help make an informed decision, especially if you’re considering making any longshot bets or if there are a couple of lines/outcomes you think are close.
BAFTAs Betting Tips
Stats are great to use for betting. But not every piece of sports betting advice includes data. The following BAFTA betting tips are a few examples of advice that can help you make more money — minus the data.
Is There Any Controversy?
Every award show is subjective, and the BAFTAs are no exception. A group of 6,700+ members vote for who or what they think deserves an award.
Since there are no hard and fast rules (that we know of) for determining the winners, you can expect outside forces — such as controversy — to influence the outcome.
One bit of controversy the BAFTAs are dealing with is their lack of diversity. A 2018 report showed that 94% of BAFTA film award nominees have been white. The BAFTAs are now under pressure to nominate and give awards to more people of color.
Keep this mind as you place your bets. If you see someone of color who crushed their role, you should strongly consider betting on them — if anything, to hedge against the other favorite(s).
We mention this tip whenever we share betting advice, and for good reason. You can make a lot of money without a lot of effort.
Here are two examples from the 2020 BAFTAs to drive this point home.
Take the Best Film category, specifically the movies 1917 and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Here are the price differences we found when comparing two BAFTA betting sites.
- First site
- 1917 to Win Best Film -500
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to Win Best Film +650
- Second site
- 1917 to Win Best Film -150
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to Win Best Film +300
See what we mean?
Here are two other movie examples we found in the Outstanding British Film category.
- First site
- Rocketman to Win +800
- The Two Popes to Win +700
- Second site
- Rocketman to Win +600
- The Two Popes to Win +1000
If you didn’t compare these odds, you wouldn’t necessarily be getting the best possible value for your chosen wagers.
This happens across the board in sports betting, but more so in entertainment and novelty markets since handicappers aren’t as sharp with their lines.
Do your homework. Your wallet will thank you.
Watch the BAFTA Nominated Films
You shouldn’t take all the news you read or other people’s opinions to heart. You still need to think for yourself. But that’s tough to do if you don’t watch the movies nominated for a BAFTA.
Sure, this won’t guarantee you’ll win your bets. After all, your opinion of a movie can be night and day compared to the 6,700+ snooty members who are voting on it.
But you want to be confident in the bets you make. And you don’t want to overlook valuable bets. So you need to watch the movies so that you know what to look for.
What’s more — watching each movie will give you insight that you can use to bet on multiple categories, such as Best Film, Best Actor, and Best Actress, all in one swoop.
Pay Attention to Other Award Shows
Movies that do well at one award show often do well at other award shows. And the good news for BAFTA bettors is that there are a few award shows that take place before the BAFTAs.
- The Golden Globes
- The Critics’ Choice Movie Awards
- Screen Actors Guild Awards
Here’s how you can use this information.
Take the movie Joker, which was nominated for a few BAFTA awards in 2020. It was nominated for numerous Oscars, Screen Actors Guild Awards, and others. It won a few, too.
- 2x Golden Globes (Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture and Best Original Score)
- 1x Screen Actors Guild Awards (Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role)
- 2x Critics’ Choice Awards (Best Actor and Best Score)
Joker also won smaller, less-known awards. For example, it won the AFI Awards Movie of the Year. And it won Best Foreign Film from the Association of Polish Filmmakers Critics Awards.
The point — if a movie won any awards leading up to the BAFTAs, there’s a strong possibility it’ll also win at least one BAFTA.
Now, this doesn’t give you a ton of information, but combine this with all the tips in this section and the stats from the last section, and you’re now armed to the teeth with money-making betting advice.
All that’s left now is to choose a site for betting on the BAFTAs and act on it.
How We Rank the Best BAFTAs Betting Sites
Every online gambling site we endorse must meet our high standards. This means going through an in-depth process to evaluate them. There’s no way we can go deep into the criteria we use to judge each site — there’s too much to unpack.
But what we can do is give you a birds-eye view of what we look and test. The following criteria apply to every gambling site we review.
- Gambling license, reputation, and history
- Deposit bonus and wager requirements
- Banking options, limits, fees, and processing times
- Customer support options and response times
- Terms and conditions
- Software, features, and mobile compatibility
All this determines how safe and secure each site is. It shows us how fair they are. And it impacts the experience you’ll have betting with them.
We won’t endorse a betting site that drops the ball here.
The next set of criteria determines how relevant the betting site is, i.e., are they one of the best sites for betting on the BAFTAs?
Here’s what we look for to answer that question.
- Market variety
- We give more points to the betting sites that have more coverage, meaning they have odds on more BAFTA categories
- Competitive prices
- We prefer to endorse betting sites that consistently post the best odds
- When they post their odds
- We want to recommend betting sites that post their lines the soonest after BAFTA announces the nominees
The online bookmakers and sportsbooks that exceed our standards across the board make our shortlist for the best BAFTAs betting sites. And then we rank each site from best to worst depending on how they do in each area.
This is how we come up with our list of recommended sites for betting on the BAFTAs online. We hope you can see that we don’t make these recommendations at random, but that a lot of effort goes into each one.
To sum this up — you can find a betting site on your own, but in the interest of saving time and money, you should strongly consider joining one of the BAFTA sportsbooks we recommend instead.
BAFTA Betting FAQ
When should you bet on the BAFTAs?
You can bet on the BAFTAs as soon as the nominees are announced.
Betting on the BAFTAs early is a great opportunity, too, as the lines aren’t as sharp compared to the lines on award night.
When are the nominees announced?
This changes every year, so you should check the BAFTA’s press release page towards the end of every year.
BAFTA announced the 2020 nominees on January 7, 2020.
When does the BAFTAs ceremony take place?
Usually in early February.
For example, the date for 2020 was February 2nd.
Are the BAFTAs only for British films?
No, movies from all over the world are eligible for a BAFTA.
There are some categories that are specifically for British films, though.
For more on the BAFTAs, including predictions and betting picks, you can check out our BAFTA blog content. Below are some of the latest posts.
- 2020 British Academy Television Craft Awards Predictions and PicksEntertainment has been tough to come by in 2020. Finding things to bet on in the entertainment...
- How and Where to Bet on the 2020 BAFTA AwardsLooking for the best 2020 BAFTAs odds? Keen to find some truly outstanding BAFTAs bets, markets, and...
- Best Odds and Bets for the 2020 BAFTA AwardsToday is as good a day as any to look at the best BAFTA bets, odds, and...
- BAFTAs Predictions – Predicting the Winner of Every Award at the 2020 BAFTAsIt’s that time of year again, when the best of British and international film is honored at...