RTP for Rainbow King is 95.0%, which is good for a land based slot machine, but average for an online slot.
Rainbow King Slot Machine
Developed by Novomatic, Rainbow King is a 5 reel, 20 pay line slot machine that was developed for land based casinos and later adapted for online play.
This game has an abstract theme that combines the medieval feudal system and the meteorological phenomenon known as rainbows.
Considering the theme, it’s no wonder that you’ll find castles, crowns, gold, and kings on the reels. You’ll see the rainbow aspect used in the background and animations.
The big question that we have is whether or not Rainbow King slot offers anything unique besides its interesting theme.
Let’s answer this question by looking at Rainbow King’s atmosphere, sound effects, animations, pay table, graphics, bonuses, betting options, and comparisons to similar slot machines.
Rainbow King Slot Machine Overview
Atmosphere / Background
Rainbow King lives up to its theme by featuring a colorful rainbow across the top of the screen. In the lower part of the screen, you’ll see a large grassy area with a small castle on the right-hand side.
Despite the rainbow at the top, the background is basic when considering the grassy area and cloudless sky.
But what truly spices this game up is the multi colored pay line tabs on both sides of the reels, and the vibrant Rainbow King title above the reels. Combined with the colorful symbols, this gamehas a fun atmosphere that should hold your attention.
Music and Sound Effects
The main game doesn’t feature music, but a short jingle plays whenever you spin the reels. Rainbows may not make sounds when they form, but this jingle is what you’d expect to hear if they did.
You’ll hear similar tunes during the bonus rounds, where the music reminds us of the Wizard of Oz. This is appropriate considering that a rainbow shines over the Emerald City in the movie.
The medieval aspect isn’t as prevalent in the music and sound effects. But when you select one of the castles during the Cash Castle Bonus, a trumpet sounds.
The default animation for winning payouts is a flash of rainbow colors going across the symbols, while you’ll see more unique animations during wins.
Animations during winning payouts include: a rainbow forming over the castle, the castle shooting out gold, and the bag of gold flashing.
The animations in this game rely heavily on flashing rainbow colors, which offers decent entertainment during wins.
Rainbow King Pay Table and Graphics
Rainbow King’s symbols and payouts include the following:
- Wild – The wild symbol substitutes for everything except for the Cash Castle, King Cash, and Rainbow King symbols. The wild symbol also pays 2,500 credits for 5 symbols, 1,000for 4 symbols, 300 for 3, and 10 for 2.
- Cash Castle Bonus – 3 or more castle symbols trigger the Cash Castle Bonus.
- King Cash Bonus – Appearing only on reels 2, 3, and 4, the crown triggers the King Cash Bonus.
- Rainbow King Bonus – 3 or more king symbols trigger the King Cash Bonus.
- Gold – This large bag of gold pays 1,250 credits for 5 symbols, 750 for 4 symbols, 250 for 3, and 10 for 4.
- A, K – The A and K offer 750 credits for 5 symbols, 250 for 4, and 50 for 3.
- Q, J, 10 – The Q, J, and 10 pay 500 credits for 5 symbols, 50 for 4, and 25 for 3.
The graphics in Rainbow King are above average, with the best detail being seen in the crown, bag of gold, and the letters. The castle and king feature a blocky cartoon style that doesn’t look asimpressive as the other symbols.
The best display in the game is seen in the Rainbow King Bonus, with the dice and spaces on the board offering impressive graphics.
Rainbow King Slot Bonus Features
One thing to love about Rainbow King is that it offers four different bonus rounds, and you can see detailed descriptions of each bonus below.
- Cash Castle Bonus – When you land 3 or more castles anywhere on the reels, you’ll trigger the Cash Castle bonus. Once this happens, all of the triggering castles remain on thereels. You select one of the castles to either reveal credit prizes. When you’ve made your selection, the credit prize is shown and gold shoots out of the castle gates.
- King Cash Bonus – After landing 3 or more crowns on the reels, you trigger the King Cash Bonus. You’ll be taken to a second screen that’s filled with 12 crowns, and eachpossible prize is listed on the left-hand side. You select one of the 12 crowns, and your prize will range from 100 to 1,000 credits. Even at the low end of this range, the King Cash round is ahigh paying bonus. When you choose a crown, it drops down to the bottom of the screen and a large rainbow fills the column. Rubies will fall into the crown while music plays and your winningsare added up.
- Rainbow King Bonus – When you land 3 or more Rainbow King symbols on the reels, you trigger the Rainbow King bonus. This takes you to a second screen, where you’ll see a numberof prizes lining the outside of a game board. When you click Spin, a large dice is rolled to reveal the number of spaces that you move on the board. Your position on the board is marked by acrown, which hops the number of spaces that you’ve rolled. Potential prizes include credits and Reel King Spins, which are marked on the board by the king. You continue rolling the dice andmoving across the board until landing on a Take Money space. Once you land on the Take Money space, your earnings will be added up and you’ll either return to the main game or enter the ReelKing Spins.
- Reel King Spins – If you pick up Reel King Spins in the Rainbow King Bonus, four different kings pop up with 3 reel slot machines in their hands. You can win one of four prizeson each slot machine, including 2,500 credits for three red 7s, 500 for three yellow 7s, 200 for three teal 7s, and 100 for three mixed sevens. Each turn lasts until any symbol other than a 7comes up on the 3 reel slot machines.
You can change pay lines from 1 to 20, and adjust your coin denomination from $0.01 to $5.00. This makes the minimum bet worth $0.01 and the max wager worth $100.00.
You can change pay lines either with buttons on the sides of the reels, or with the plus / minus buttons underneath the reels. You adjust the coin denomination with the plus / minus buttons atthe bottom of the screen.
Considering that you can play all 20 pay lines for $0.20, we recommend that you do this to maximize your chances of winning on each spin.
After selecting your betting preferences, you can keep the reels spinning automatically for between 5 and 50 spins.
You can turn sound on and off with the speaker button in the top right hand corner of the screen.
One more option is the ability to make the screen full size by clicking the expander button next to the speaker icon.
The win frequency in Rainbow King is high, with the lower paying letters combining to form lots of small wins. The Cash Castle Bonus is also triggered frequently, which gives you plenty of mediumwins along the way.
Playing 20 pay lines, we rarely experienced long losing streaks and normally got at least one win every 2 3 spins.
Considering how frequently you win, Rainbow King is a bankroll friendly game that allows you to play for a long time.
Return to Player RTP
While the RTP may be average, the win frequency is high enough that you’ll feel like a winner when playing Rainbow King.
Rainbow King’s rules are straightforward for a 5 reel slot machine, which you can see below:
- All winning combinations are formed from left to right, except for scatters, which pay at any position on the reels.
- Scatter wins are paid based on the triggering bet, and they’re added to pay line bets.
- If two or more wins are formed in a single pay line, only the highest win is paid.
- The pay table shows prizes for the currently selected coin size and pay lines.
Comparison to Similar Slot Machines
Rainbow King has a duel theme that involves both rainbows and a medieval king. That said, we’ve found two games from both themes to compare to Rainbow King.
The first, Amaya’s King Richer, revolves around a king who’s rich beyond imagination. The second game, Barcrest’s Rainbow Riches, deals with a leprechaun and rainbows.
This 5 reel, 25 pay line slot machine is all about castles, kings, and wealth, which is apparent from the background. You’ll see a large castle decorated with dollar signs in the background alongwith a massive pile of gold on the ground.
Symbols include the crown, king, knight’s helmet bonus, scepter, fruit wearing crowns, a 7, BAR, and cherries. This slot does a good job of mixing classic slot symbols along with objects that areunique to the game’s theme.
Another good aspect to King Richer is the royal music that plays every time you spin the reels or hit winning payouts. We’ve seen older games like this that have generic sounds effects, but KingRicher isn’t one of them.
The only major weaknesses to this slot include mediocre graphics and how the only bonus feature is free spins.
This 5 reel, 20 pay line is one of the many leprechaun themed slot machines in the gaming world. The theme heavily incorporates a rainbow, which you can see going across the purple background.
Symbols include a leprechaun, wishing well, pot of gold, gold coin (wild), and generic letters. The symbol graphics are nothing special, but they at least present a fun and colorful theme.
This game doesn’t offer many animations, but you’ll hear plenty of sound effects during winning payouts. Sound effects consist of magical sounds that match the leprechaun and rainbow theme.
The best part of Rainbow Riches is that it features three different bonus rounds, including the Wishing Well, Pots of Gold, and Road to Riches bonuses.
Our favorite bonus is definitely Road to Riches because it takes you to a second screen, which features a game board just like Rainbow King.
Based on its three bonuses, Rainbow Riches compares well to Rainbow King since both slot machines have enough features to keep you entertained.
True to its name, Rainbow King uses bursts of color in the background, symbols, and pay line tabs to create a vibrant atmosphere. The sound effects also sell the themes because they create thesame sense of wonderment that rainbows do.
But where this game truly shines is through its four bonus features, including Cash Castle, King Cash, Rainbow King, and Reel King Spins.
Of these bonuses, we really like the King Cash and Rainbow King bonuses because they offer the most detail. King Cash sees you select one of 12 crowns to receive a big payout, while Rainbow Kinghas you roll dice to move around a game board.
One more thing to like about this slot is its high win frequency, which sees you win often when playing all 20 pay lines.
We don’t see any serious downsides to Rainbow King, other than that some people will think the theme is childish. Anybody who falls into this category won’t spend too much time playing RainbowKing.
But based on the four bonuses and interesting atmosphere, we recommend that you try this game.