MLB Predictions and Best Bets – April 20, 2021
Talk about a busy day in baseball. All 30 teams are in action on Tuesday. The Twins and A’s will even play twice after Monday’s game in Oakland was postponed.
Before I get into my MLB picks for April 20, here’s a quick peek at the schedule.
- Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Seattle Mariners – 4:10 PMET
- Chicago White Sox vs. Cleveland Indians – 6:10 PM ET
- Minnesota Twins vs. Oakland Athletics (GM 1) – 6:30 PM ET
- Atlanta Braves vs. New York Yankees – 6:35 PM ET
- Arizona Diamondbacks vs. Cincinnati Reds – 6:40 PM ET
- Baltimore Orioles vs. Miami Marlins – 6:40 PM ET
- Pittsburgh Pirates vs. Detroit Tigers – 6:40 PM ET
- San Francisco Giants vs. Philadelphia Phillies – 7:05 PM ET
- St. Louis Cardinals vs. Washington Nationals – 7:05 PM ET
- Toronto Blue Jays vs. Boston Red Sox – 7:10 PM ET
- New York Mets vs. Chicago Cubs – 7:40 PM ET
- Tampa Bay Rays vs. Kansas City Royals – 8:10 PM ET
- Houston Astros vs. Colorado Rockies – 8:40 PM ET
- Minnesota Twins vs. Oakland Athletics (GM 2) – 9:30 PM ET
- Texas Rangers vs. Los Angeles Angels – 9:38 PM ET
- Milwaukee Brewers vs. San Diego Padres – 10:10 PM ET
Among the highlights; Carlos Rodon takes the mound in Cleveland after tossing a no-hitter his last time out. The Yanks are looking to snap a five-game skid in a battle against the Braves, while both Adam Wainwright and Patrick Corbin each seek their first win of the season in a matchup in the nation’s capital.
Let’s start this daily betting guide off with some simple MLB predictions.
MLB Game Winner Predictions for April 20
- Dodgers to beat the Mariners
- Indians to beat the White Sox
- Twins to beat the Athletics (GM 1)
- Yankees to beat the Braves
- Reds to beat the Diamondbacks
- Marlins to beat the Orioles
- Tigers to beat the Pirates
- Phillies to beat the Giants
- Nationals to beat the Cardinals
- Blue Jays to beat the Red Sox
- Mets to beat the Cubs
- Royals to beat the Rays
- Rockies to beat the Astros
- Athletics to beat the Twins (GM 2)
- Angels to beat the Rangers
- Brewers to beat the Padres
Refer to the MLB picks above if your goal is to target money-line bets. Just be sure you’re shopping your lines across all of the top baseball betting apps before locking anything in.
To kick off Tuesday’s MLB predictions, there are a few underdogs I’m intrigued to back.
Top MLB Upset Picks for April 20
- Indians (+104) over the White Sox
- Blue Jays (+107) over the Red Sox
- Brewers (+110) over the Padres
Carlos Rodon and Zach Plesac went head to head on April 14th – the pair will go to battle once again on Tuesday night in the South Side of Chicago. Rodon’s coming off a spectacular performance while Plesac retired just two batters – this seems like a lopsided matchup on paper.
Not so fast.
Rodon should come back down to Earth while Plesac is due for a bounce-back outing. The Indians’ right-hander had been brilliant in his previous two starts and lasted six or more inning in all eight of his appearances in 2020.
Speaking of “coming back down to Earth,” the Bo Sox smacked out 17 hits and scored 11 runs in a Monday afternoon tilt versus the Chi Sox. Six players recorded multiple hits – three guys registered at least one two-out RBI. The Blue Jays scored a total of two runs in their past two games and used Monday to recharge for a two-game series in Boston.
Considering Toronto is sending their ace to the bump who’s looked mighty sharp thus far, I like the Jays’ chances of pulling off a mild upset Tuesday night in Beantown.
Take this chance to back Corbin Burnes at +110 – it might not happen again for a while. All this talk about Jacob deGrom and Shane Bieber is warranted, but feast your eyes on what the 26-year-old hurler has been up to in Milwaukee.
|Corbin Burnes – By the Numbers in 2021|
|Date||Opponent||Innings Pitched||Hits||Earned Runs||Strikeouts||Walks|
Just four hits surrendered in 18.1 innings and an unheard-of 30/0 K/BB ratio. Burnes is sporting a video-game-like 0.49 ERA – there just aren’t enough good things you can say.
Best MLB Bets for Tuesday, April 20
- Marlins (-125) to win (over the Orioles)
- Tigers (-125) to win (over the Pirates)
- Phillies (-152) to win (over the Giants)
Moving along to the best MLB bets for April 20, you don’t have to twist my arm too hard to bet against Matt Harvey. Once a reliable starter for the Mets, you have to go all the way back to April 28th of 2019 to find the last time Harvey lasted beyond five innings.
The Tigers vs. Pirates seems pretty “blahhhhh” on paper, but here’s what I can gather. Detroit is returning to Comerica Park for the first time since April 7th after playing 10 consecutive road games. Losers of four straight in Oakland, a home game versus a depleted Buccos lineup is the perfect recipe to get back on track.
Finally, and perhaps the “safest” of my MLB picks on Tuesday, hammer the Phillies to take care of business on their home field versus the Giants. Joe Girardi’s club is 7-2 at Citizens Bank Park and is sending Zack Wheeler to the hill – Wheeler has given up three or fewer runs in 20 of his last 21 starts.
To make matters worse for the Giants, San Francisco ranks dead last in the MLB in runs per game and is hitting a paltry .205 at the plate (29th in the league).