Louisiana Downs Betting Picks for Wednesday, August 12, 2020
Thoroughbred racing at Harrah’s Louisiana Downs continues Wednesday, August 12, 2020, with a seven-race card of maiden, allowance, and claiming matches.
The Wednesday forecast for Bossier City, Louisiana calls for partly cloudy skies and a 20% chance of rain, with highs in the mid-90s and winds around eight mph.
While I cover the richest races here, you can always find the full list of races for Louisiana Downs—including entries, jockeys, and wagering options—at our recommended horse racing betting sites.
Post time for the first race on Wednesday is 3:05 PM (CDT). Now, let’s have a look at my Louisiana Downs picks, predictions, and tips.
- Post Time: 3:33 PM
- Purse: $23,500
- Type: ALLOWANCE OPTIONAL CLAIMING
- Distance: 6 furlongs
- Conditions: For Accredited Louisiana Bred Three-Year-Olds And Upward Which Have Never Won A Race Other Than Maiden, Claiming, Or Starter Or Which Have Never Won Two Races Or Claiming Price $12,500.
Race 2 Runners and Odds Forecast
- 1 Nippy Red, J A Guerrero, 5/1
- 2 Alan’s Argument, A Green, 15/1
- 3 Cabo’s Rumor, K Kellenberger, 6/1
- 4 War Count, G Mora, 8/5
- 5 Zelig, E Nieves, 5/2
- 6 Dixie Street, J Dominguez, 7/2
Race 2 Prediction and Pick
This is going to be a tight race, but I’m going to stick with the moneyline here and go with the 8/5 favorite, War Count, with Gerardo Mora in the irons. This five-year-old gelding moneyed 11 of his 15 career starts, winning three of them.
Race 2 Tip
The only long odds in this race aren’t nearly long enough to warrant even a show bet, so let’s save our money for a better opportunity.
- Post Time: 4:55 PM
- Purse: $22,500
- Type: MAIDEN SPECIAL WEIGHT
- Distance: 5 furlongs
- Conditions: For Accredited Louisiana Bred Maidens, Two Years Old.
Race 5 Runners and Odds Forecast
- 1 Velvet Ridge, A Green, 6/1
- 1A Custom Pancho, SCRATCHED
- 2 Lit a Shuck, A Castillo, 12/1
- 2B Morricone, SCRATCHED
- 3 Grey Sloan, J Gilligan, 8/1
- 4 Our Half First, C Lozada, 15/1
- 5 Visions of Gold, R Flores, 4/1
- 6 Creole Charlie, SCRATCHED
- 7 Shady Grady, K J Smith, 30/1
- 8 Cajuns Golden Pond, J A Guerrero, 20/1
- 9 Brithasgoldencents, A Trujillo, 12/1
- 10 Gotiger Special, R R Singh, 6/1
- 11 Lt. Bonura, G Mora, 5/1
- 12 Big Merrill, O Martinez, 10/1
Race 5 Prediction and Pick
While most maiden races for two-year-olds are a wheel of fortune for handicapping, this one features some real talent, incipient though it may be. I’m going to go with the 4/1 moneyline favorite here: Visions of Gold, with Rico Flores aboard. This gelding moneyed in one of his three career starts and shows good times in his workouts.
Race 5 Tip
Hard to resist 20/1 odds, so consider a show wager on Cajuns Golden Pond, with Jose A. Guerrero at the helm. This colt has no record of career starts, but he has better workout times than many in this field.
Visions of Gold4/1
- Post Time: 5:49 PM
- Purse: $21,500
- Type: ALLOWANCE OPTIONAL CLAIMING
- Distance: About 7-1/2 furlongs (turf, rail at 20 feet)
- Conditions: For Fillies And Mares Three Years Old And Upward Which Have Never Won Two Races Other Than Maiden, Claiming, Starter, Or State Bred Allowance Or Which Have Never Won Three Races Or Claiming Price $17,500. If deemed inadvisable by management to run this race over the turf course, it will be run on the main track at one mile and seventy yards.
Race 7 Runners and Odds Forecast
- 1 Cubs Win, G Mora, 5/2
- 2 Brilliant Slew, K Kellenberger, 12/1
- 3 Green Monster, F T Rodriguez, 15/1
- 4 Bee Balm, A Green, 8/1
- 5 Yes Gorgeous, E Nieves, 8/1
- 6 She’s Divine, J Gilligan, 2/1
- 7 Holiday Time, J Dominguez, 7/2
- 8 Air Guitar Star, H Del-Cid, 10/1
Race 7 Prediction and Pick
I’m in agreement with the moneyline here, as well, and I’m betting on the 2/1 favorite She’s Divine, with Jack Gilligan in the irons. This four-year-old filly finished in the money for 11 of her 16 career starts, winning three of them.
Race 7 Tip
At 15/1, I think a show ticket is in order for Green Monster, with Filemon Rodriguez aboard. This three-year-old filly moneyed four of her seven career starts, and won two of them.
If you’re looking for more horse racing betting tips, check out my Parx Racing picks for August 12.