Top Picks for UFC Vegas 46 With Predictions for All Fights
Looking to bet on UFC Vegas 46? If so, you’ll be pleased to know that the first UFC event of 2022 goes down on Saturday, January 15 from the Apex.
A potential barnburner between top featherweights Calvin Kattar and Giga Chikadze headlines the card. This fight alone should be worth tuning in for, with both men looking to get their year up and running with a major result.
I’ll be making my predictions for UFC Vegas 46, as well as providing my top picks for the opening event of the new year. Looking for UFC odds for Vegas 46? I’ll be sharing those with you, too. So, grab yourself a drink, find a seat, and let’s get to it.
Calvin Kattar vs. Giga Chikadze
What a main event this should be.
Calvin Kattar was just one win away from a shot at Alexander Volkanovski’s title before he was absolutely schooled by Max Holloway in January 2021. One year later, and “The Boston Finisher” stands in the way of Giga Chikadze’s hopes of fighting for the title.
The UFC Vegas 46 odds with Bovada see Chikadze installed as the favorite for this five-round fight in the featherweight division. The Georgian has been in scintillating form and brings a nine-fight win streak with seven of them coming under the UFC banner.
What’s more impressive about Chikadze’s run is that he has finished his last three opponents in style.
|Giga Chikadze’s Last Three Wins|
|Edson Barboza||Win by TKO (3)||UFC on ESPN: Barboza vs. Chikadze||Aug. 28, 2021|
|Cub Swanson||Win by TKO (1)||UFC on ESPN: Reyes vs. Procházka||May 1, 2021|
|Jamey Simmons||Win by TKO (1)||UFC on ESPN: Santos vs. Teixeira||Nov. 7, 2020|
Kattar certainly has his work cut out in this fight. Although he is a very talented 145-pounder with decent power, he is very hittable. Holloway landed a record 445 significant strikes in their fight last year, which would have taken a lot of wind out of the one-time title hopeful.
If you’re betting on Kattar vs. Chikadze, I would not blame you for looking at the American’s odds as though it was a warm donut. After all, he has only lost to Renato Moicano, Zabit Magomedsharipov, and Max Holloway in the UFC.
Although he has the talent to pull off an upset, I don’t see how his style will work against such an aggressive guy like Chikadze. The explosive power of “Ninja” is going to be very tough to handle for Kattar, who could very well be looking at the first stoppage loss of his career.
The gamble outweighs the reward for me, so I’m picking Chikadze to stop his man at some point in Round 2.
- Prediction: Chikadze by KO/TKO
- Best Bet: Chikadze by KO/TKO/DQ/Submission (-163)
Muslim Salikhov vs. Michel Pereira
One of the top UFC fights to bet on in January 2022, it’s tough to pick a winner from this one.
Muslim Salikhov enters the contest with a record of 18-2 following a win over Francisco Trinaldo back in June. The “King of Kung-Fu” is 5-1 in the UFC, having put together a run of five straight wins following his debut loss to Alex Garcia in November 2017.
Pereria is just insane to watch. A huge fan favorite, the unorthodox Brazilian is on a three-fight streak following a decision win over Niko Price in July. This is a fighter that fans have learned to expect the unexpected from. That doesn’t always fill bettors with confidence, however.
According to his coach, Rafael Alejarra, we will see a faster and more powerful version of Pereira at UFC Vegas 46. More importantly, we might see less of his wilder side out there.
I think this is a good fight for him but we have to be careful because this Russian is no fool.”
I agree with Alejarra in the sense that Salikhov is no fool. But when it comes to suppressing his fighter’s natural inclination to try crazy stuff on a whim, I don’t think that can be completely coached out of him.
In this matchup, at the very least, I think it will work in Pereira’s favor. I’m expecting a KO win for “Demolidor” as early as the first round but wouldn’t completely rule out a finish in the second stanza.
One of my top betting tips for UFC Vegas 46 is to take the odds for Pereira vs. Salikhov ending under 2.5 rounds.
- Prediction: Pereira by KO/TKO
- Best Bet: Fight Ends Under 2.5 Rounds (+140)
Katlyn Chookagian vs. Jennifer Maia 2
A flyweight rematch between Jennifer Maia and Katlyn Chookagian should be worth tuning in for on the night.
Chookagian is on a two-fight roll following encouraging victories over Cynthia Calvillo and Viviane Araujo. The former flyweight title challenger is 5-2 from her last seven, with losses to women’s pound-for-pound great Valentina Shevchenko and former strawweight champion Jessica Andrade accounting for the blemishes.
The odds for UFC Vegas 46 favor Chookagian in this one, despite Maia being in decent form of late. The Brazilian is coming off a solid win over Jessica Eye following her own failed title shot against Shevchenko. A solid competitor, she is 4-3 in the promotion with a 2019 loss to Chookagian counting against her.
I don’t see this fight looking too different from the first. Chookagian earned a unanimous decision victory the last time they met and it’s hard to back against her in this one.
One of the safest bets for UFC Vegas 46 would be to go for the fight to end by way of decision, but feel free to take the “Blonde Fighter” if you feel confident about her chances.
- Prediction: Chookagian by Decision
- Best Bet: Fight to End in a Decision (-275)
Brandon Royval vs. Rogerio Bontorin
Brandon Royval and Rogerio Bontorin face off with a potential step up the ladder of the flyweight division on the cards.
Royval comes into this one in questionable form, with back-to-back losses against the incumbent UFC flyweight champion Brandon Moreno and elite 125-pounder, Alexandre Pantoja. These defeats came after two impressive “Fight of the Night” wins against Tim Elliott and Kai Kara-France.
Controversy hit the flyweight contender after the fight, with USADA pinching him following a positive test for the banned diuretic hydrochlorothiazide. Bontorin received a three-month suspension in May, which has now been served.
Those betting on UFC Vegas 46 are right to question Bontorin’s suspension as well as his failure to make weight at the bantamweight threshold. If he struggled to clock in clean at ten pounds north of this weight class, that does not bode well for this scrap.
I like Royval in this fight and can see him getting an early submission win.
- Prediction: Royval by Submission
- Best Bet: Royval by Submission (+160)
Jake Collier vs. Chase Sherman
A heavyweight clash between Jake Collier and Chase Sherman might end up being the shortest bout on the card.
The odds for UFC Vegas 46 make Collier a moderate favorite to win on the night, but it’s basically a pick ’em. Sherman is on a two-fight skid with losses to Parker Porter and Andrei Arlovski making it 1-2 for “The Vanilla Gorilla” since returning to the UFC in May 2020.
The odds for Collier to beat Sherman are not majorly appealing, considering the stylistic matchup in this one. He is coming off a split-decision defeat to Carlos Felipe at UFC 263, with a win over Gian Villante in December 2020 sandwiched inbetween his defeat to rising star Tom Aspinall in July of the same year.
I like Sherman to go out and find range early in this bout. The UFC Vegas 46 odds for a KO look pretty sweet, too.
- Prediction: Sherman by KO/TKO
- Best Bet: Sherman by KO/TKO (+275)
Predictions for UFC Vegas 46 Prelims Fights
If you’re wagering on the UFC Vegas 46 prelims, here are a few betting tips to get you started.
- Gabriel Benitez Beats T.J. Brown by Decision
- Joanderson Brito Beats Bill Algeo by Decision
- Ramiz Brahimaj Beats Court McGee by Decision
- Jamie Pickett Beats Joseph Holmes by KO/TKO
- Viacheslav Borshchev Beats Dakota Bush by KO/TKO
- Saidyokub Kakhramonov Beats Brian Kelleher by Submission
- Silvana Gomez Juarez Beats Vanessa Demopoulos by Decision
I believe most of the fights on the undercard will end in decision wins. There are a few bouts that look nailed on to end inside the distance, however, with the likes of Holmes vs. Pickett and Kakhramanov vs. Kelleher standouts.
As always, betting on how you see the fight ending isn’t always the smartest way to wager on UFC fights. So, make sure to play smart and read up on some UFC betting strategy before you lock in your top picks
UFC Vegas 46 Picks – Best Bets for the Fights
Betting on UFC Vegas 46? If so, here are my top picks across the card.
- Chookagian vs. Maia to End in a Decision – You’re looking at odds of-275 with the top sites for betting on UFC fights for this one. Why should you back Chookagian-Maia to end in a decision? Well, the first fight did. 15 of Chookagian’s 20 fights have gone the distance, as well as 15 of Maia’s 27.
- Chikadze by KO/TKO/DQ/Submission – At odds of -163, backing Chikadze for the finish is one of the top bets for UFC Vegas 46. Kattar is a solid fighter but is facing a wrecking ball of a man in his return to the cage following a stinging defeat at the hands of Max Holloway.
- Kakhramonov to Beats Kelleher – Odds of -155 for the Uzbekistani wrecking ball look good to me. He’s on a three-fight streak, all finishes, which includes a submission win over Trevin Jones in his UFC debut.
That’s three of the best picks for UFC Vegas 46 to consider. Let’s move on to my recommended value bets.
Top Value Bets and Sleepers for UFC Vegas 46
This card isn’t the best for longshots. In fact, you’ll struggle to find odds for UFC Vegas 46 above the +300 mark that are realistic wagers.
Still, I’ve put together three value picks and sleepers that should help you out.
- Sherman by KO/TKO – I like Sherman’s power in this fight and think odds of +275 are far too good to turn down. He was on a run of four straight KO/TKO wins before losing to Arlovski and Porter, and the heat is on here. Collier’s chin can be found early.
- Pickett by KO/TKO – If you’re talking about the best sleepers for UFC Vegas 46, how about Jamie Pickett? Fans have hit the snooze button on this guy for losses to Tafon Nchukwi and Jordan Wright. But Holmes’ record leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to top-quality opponents. At odds of +210, this is a very good bet.
- Royval by Submission – Royval can take advantage of what might be a depleted version of Bontorin. At odds of +180 for the submission, I think this bet must be an addition to my best sleeper picks for UFC Vegas 46.
That’s my value bets for UFC Vegas 46 in the bag. There are three solid bets right there that all come with plus money odds.
Predictions and Picks for UFC Vegas 46 – Wrapping Things Up
If you’re looking to make money betting on UFC Vegas 46 on January 15, this betting guide should hopefully give you a headstart.
We’ve covered the odds, a breakdown of the main fights, and predictions for how I see all fights panning out. Of course, nothing is certain when it comes to gambling on UFC bouts, so it always pays to take some time to get your ducks in a row.
Speaking of which, we have the biggest fight of the year so far coming up on January 22. Francis Ngannou vs. Cyril Gane could be the most important fight in heavyweight history, and you can bet on it right now.
I’ve put together a preview with odds, predictions, and top picks for Ngannou vs. Gane. Check it out.