Top Betting Markets for Making Money from the English Premier League
Considering the English Premier League is the most popular soccer league on the planet, it makes perfect sense that all the sportsbooks offer tons of different EPL betting markets.
But with countless Premier League bets to choose from, how do you know that you’re picking the right ones?
If you’re reading this page, the chances are that you are already familiar with most of the mainstream EPL bets. But have you ever considered futures? What about Premier League props and specials?
In this post, I cover all the best EPL betting markets to make money from. I look at the best bets for Premier League games, the top outright markets, the best EPL props, and also some bets to avoid.
Best Bets for EPL Games
Let’s kick things off by checking out the bets for EPL matches. After going over all the popular options, I take a closer look at a couple of my favorite markets.
- Moneyline – A moneyline bet is the simplest and most straightforward wager you can place on a Premier League game. All you need to do is pick a team to win the match, or back the draw.
- Over/Under Goals – This EPL betting market enables you to predict the total number of goals in a game. For example, over 1.5 goals or under 3.5 goals.
- Both Teams to Score – As the name suggests, this Premier League betting market allows to wager on both teams scoring in a match. You can either select yes or no.
- Handicap – Used to make a game more of an even contest, handicap betting gives a team a virtual deficit to overcome.
- Correct Score – Use this market to predict the exact final scoreline of any given Premier League game. For instance, 1-0 or 3-2.
- First Goalscorer – All the top EPL sportsbooks enable us to predict the first player to score a goal in a match.
- Anytime Goalscorer – You can also back a player to find the back of the net at any time throughout a game.
- Half Time/Full Time – If you think a team is going to dominate a match and be leading a both half time and full time, this is the market you want.
- Draw Not Bet – This market removes the draw option, meaning you can only pick the winner of a game. If the match ends in a draw, you get your stake back.
- Double Chance – Covering two of the three possible results, double chance lets you back a team to win or draw, or you can bet on either team winning.
As you can see, there are lots of different options when it comes to betting on Premier League games. While it’s wise to take advantage of multiple markets, some are better than others.
I share my favorite bets for Premier League matches below.
Make Full Use of Both Teams to Score
The first of my top EPL bets for individual matches is both teams to score (BTTS).
Of course, if two high-scoring teams with weak defenses are playing against each other, backing both sides to get on the scoresheet makes perfect sense. But if two defensive teams are going head-to-head, a single goal could be enough to decide the game.
Ultimately, I recommend making full use of both options in the BTTS market.
Why I Love Double Chance
Although double chance isn’t always the most lucrative market, it does give you the opportunity to make a steady profit making relatively low-risk bets.
Before I explain why double chance is one of my top bets for EPL games, let’s take a look at the three options within the market.
- Team A Win and Draw
- Team B Win and Draw
- Team A Win and Team B Win
Essentially, double chance lets you cover two possible results. It goes without saying that double chances odds are invariably lower than moneyline prices, but you can make a tasty profit if you pick the correct matches.
For example, West Ham is priced at 5.50 to beat Manchester United, while the draw is at 4.50. While West Ham could avoid defeat against Man Utd, backing either the West Ham win or the draw is risky. However, the West Ham win and draw double chance option is priced at 2.50, which still presents excellent value.
If you pick the right games, double chance can be one of the best EPL bets.
For further guidance on the different types of soccer wagers, following the links below.
Best EPL Futures and Outrights
There is no denying that wagering on individual games is the most popular Premier League betting option. But if you’ve got the patience, EPL futures and outrights are a great way to win money.
Even before the season gets underway, you can bet on events that won’t be decided until the end of the campaign. In most cases, these markets present outstanding value.
Here are the top EPL outrights and futures.
- Title Winner – All the best online sportsbooks allow you to wager on which team will be crowned Premier League champion.
- Relegated – With three relegation spots to fill every season, you can also bet on who will be relegated at the end of the campaign.
- Top Four Finish – With Champions League soccer up for grabs, the race for a top-four finish is always fiercely contested in the EPL – and you can wager on it.
- Top/Bottom Half Finish – Not only can you bet on the top four race, but you can also back teams to finish in both the top and bottom half of the table.
- Top Goalscorer – This outright Premier League betting market enables you to wager on the Golden Boot winner in every EPL season.
Although it is always fun to predict the next Premier League champion, it is no easy task. I mean, four different teams lifted the trophy in six seasons between 2015/16 and 2020/21 – underlining the competitiveness of the league.
The top four race is invariably tough to predict, too. With so many high-level teams battling it out for UCL soccer, who knows what might happen?
With that in mind, let’s take a closer look at a couple of my favorite Premier League futures.
Betting on the Relegation Battle
While picking the EPL winner is extremely difficult, predicting which clubs will get relegated is usually a lot easier. Before the start of every season, you can normally get a pretty good idea of the teams that are likely to struggle.
In fact, there have only ever been three Premier League seasons in which all three promoted teams managed to avoid relegation – 2001/02, 2011/12, and 2017/18.
The gulf between the EPL and the Championship is vast. Even teams that cruise to the Championship title get relegated in their first Premier League season, so you can always find good value in the bookies’ relegation odds.
Why I Recommend the Top/Bottom Half Markets
When it comes to betting on the top-four race, there are only four spots up for grabs (obviously!). But for the top and bottom half markets, ten teams are guaranteed to win you money.
With 20 sides competing in the Premier League, backing teams to finish either in the top or bottom half of the table gives you more options – it’s as simple as that. These markets generally dish up excellent value, too.
For instance, Leeds United gained promotion from the Championship in 2020 and ended up finishing ninth in the EPL the following year. The price for Leeds to finish in the top half would have been very attractive.
In the same season, Wolves dropped from seventh in 2019/20 to thirteenth in 2020/21, while Burnley dropped from tenth to seventeenth.
If you can spot smaller teams that could do well in the upcoming campaign – or bigger clubs that might struggle – the top/bottom half markets can prove to be very lucrative.
Best EPL Prop Bets and Specials
The top-rated online sports betting sites always dish up tons of Premier League props. Whether you’re after prop bets for EPL games or specials for broader markets, there are always lots of exciting and quirky options.
Here are some of the most popular EPL props.
- Total Number of Goals in a Season – You can bet on the combined number of goals scored across a Premier League campaign. For example, over 1000 or under 1000.
- Highest-Scoring Team in a Season – Think you know which side will score the most goals in the upcoming season? Back them to be the highest-scoring team.
- Total Number of Cards in a Game – This EPL prop allows you to wager how many cards will be shown during a match.
- Total Number of Corners in a Game – You can also predict the title number of corners in a game. For instance, over/under 10.5.
- Player to Have the Most Shots in a Game – Use this market to back a player to record the most shots in a Premier League match.
These are just some of the many cool Premier League prop bets on offer. If you’re looking for more information about props, make sure you check out our guide to soccer specials and prop bets.
EPL Bets to Avoid
While I suggest taking advantage of the majority of Premier League bets, there are a handful of markets that I recommend steering clear of.
With literally hundreds of EPL betting markets out there, there are bound to be a few that aren’t worth bothering with, right?
Let’s take a look some EPL bets to avoid.
Betting on player transfers may seem like good fun, but the soccer transfer market is extremely volatile. At the end of the day, anything can happen.
A player could be heavily linked with a particular club for months, with a transfer fee and contract details agreed. But if the player fails the medical, the deal could break down.
More often than not, transfer rumors circulate for weeks before a player switches clubs, too. This usually leads to super-low odds that aren’t worth bothering with.
Whenever a Premier League managerial role is up for grabs, you can invariably bet on who the club will appoint next. This might sound like a good idea, but just like player transfers, managerial appointments can easily break down.
Most of the time, predicting the next manager of a club is completely luck-based. Of course, no wager is 100% certain. But you don’t want to be unsure about a bet before you part ways with your cash.
The last of my EPL bets to avoid is first goalscorer. I mean, with 22 players on pitch, the likelihood of you backing the correct first goalscorer is pretty slim.
Sure, you could just pick the most prolific striker and hope they get the job done. But what if they get injured after five minutes and have to leave the field? Or what if they have an off day?
With the possibility of freakish own goals, long-range screamers, and center-backs scoring headers from corners, betting on the first goalscorer can go terribly wrong.
More EPL Betting Advice
That concludes my take on the best EPL betting markets to make money from.
You may have noticed that I haven’t mentioned live betting in this post. The reason for this is that live betting is an entire subject in itself, with tons of in-play markets to take advantage of.
Keep checking the site, as we will publish a post dedicated to EPL live betting in the not-too-distant future. In the meantime, feel free to check out our guide to live soccer betting.
We also have an English Premier League betting guide for you to go through. On that page, you will find lots of useful EPL betting tips and advice.
Make sure you check out the EPL picks and predictions section of our site, too. Our writers share regular match previews and Premier League predictions throughout the season.