Free Horse Racing Picks for Oaklawn on Saturday, April 18, 2020
If you thought Friday’s two stakes races were something, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet. Oaklawn continues its Racing Festival of the South this Saturday, April 18, 2020, with two handicap races: The Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (Grade III) and the Apple Blossom Handicap (Grade I).
With purses for the two handicap races at $350,000 (Count Fleet) and $600,000 (Apple Blossom), you can expect the nation’s best horses and jockeys to be joined in battle. For my Oaklawn picks today, I take a look at these two handicaps, plus the race between the two, just in case you’re interested in the 50-Cent Pick 3 wager.
The weather forecast for Oaklawn in Hot Springs, Arkansas, for Saturday, April 18, 2020, calls for a mostly sunny day, with temps in the upper 60s, a light breeze (6 mph), and barely a 10% chance of rain.
Incidentally, you can check out the entire slate of races at Oaklawn with a visit to one of the top sites for betting on US horse racing.
Post time for the first race at Oaklawn for Saturday, April 18, 2020, is 12:35 PM (CDT).
RACE 8 – Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (Grade III)
- Post Time: 4:14 PM (CDT)
- Purse: $350,000
- Type: STAKES
- Distance: 6 furlongs
- Conditions: Three Year Olds and Upward
Race 8 Runners and Odds Forecast
- Lexitonian, A Beschizza, 30/1
- Flagstaff, J Rosario, 7/2
- Hog Creek Hustle, D Van Dyke, 15/1
- Bobby’s Wicked One, M Mena, 3/1
- Wendell Fong, D Cohen, 30/1
- Mr. Jagermeister, T J Thompson, 15/1
- Hidden Scroll, M Garcia, 4/1
- Manny Wah, C Hill, 30/1
- Whitmore, J Talamo, 5/2
- Share the Upside, F Geroux, 10/1
- Nitrous, R Santana, Jr., 20/1
Race 8 Prediction and Pick
Whitmore is the favorite in this race, but there are two other close competitors—Bobby’s Wicked One and Flagstaff—who might have a different opinion. Even Hidden Scroll at 4/1 has a shot. All four of the favored horses are ridden by very experienced veteran jockeys with about 50,000 starts between them.
Considering that, I’m going to go with Flagstaff, with Joel Rosario in the irons, for the win.
- Post Time: 4:45 PM
- Purse: $62,000
- Type: ALLOWANCE OPTIONAL CLAIMING
- Distance: 6 furlongs
- Conditions: For Fillies and Mares Four Years Old and Upward Which Have Not Won $45,000 Other Than Maiden, Claiming, Starter, or State Bred Since November 18, 2019, or Claiming Price $50,000
Race 9 Runners and Odds Forecast
- Shanghai Tariff, F De La Cruz, 5/2
- Liz’s Cable Girl, T Baze, 20/1
- My Sister Madi, C Hill, 30/1
- Headland, M Garcia, 10/1
- Meadow Dance, F Geroux, 4/1
- Break Even, J Rosario, 3/1
- Honey’s Sox Appeal, A L Canchari, 30/1
- Heavens Whisper, J Talamo, 6/1
- Mt. Brave, R Santana, Jr., 10/1
- Take Charge Angel, C J Lanerie, 12/1
- Raintree Starlet, M Mena, 30/1
- Spring in the Wind, D Cohen, 20/1
Race 9 Prediction and Pick
This middle third of the 50-cent pick three (races 8-9-10) has three serious contenders, with Shanghai Tariff as the favorite at 5/2, with Break Even (Joel Rosario) and Meadow Dance (Florent Geroux) in the next two favored slots. With a post position behind the first gate, I think it will be hard to beat the favorite, so I’m betting on Shanghai Tariff, ridden by veteran Fernando de la Cruz. Hey, Rosario can’t win all of them, can he?
RACE 10 – Apple Blossom Handicap (Grade I)
- Post Time: 5:16 PM
- Purse: $600,000
- Type: STAKES
- Distance: 1-1/16 miles
- Conditions: Fillies and Mares, Four Year Olds and Upward
Race 10 Runners and Odds Forecast
- Ollie’s Candy, J Rosario, 12/1
- Coldwater, W De La Cruz, 50/1
- Awe Emma, C J Lanerie, 20/1
- Come Dancing, F Geroux, 3/1
- Point of Honor, D Van Dyke, 10/1
- Street Band, S Doyle, 15/1
- Queen Nekia, D Cohen, 20/1
- Saracosa, M Garcia, 30/1
- Horologist, T Baze, 15/1
- Cookie Dough, A Cedillo, 10/1
- Serengeti Empress, J Talamo, 4/1
- Go Google Yourself, B J Hernandez, Jr., 12/1
- Lady Apple, R Santana, Jr., 15/1
- Ce Ce, V Espinoza, 7/2
Race 10 Prediction and Pick
Come Dancing, Ce Ce, and Serengeti Empress are the top three favorites in this handicap stakes race, and while it’s almost a coin flip here, I’m going with Come Dancing with Florent Geroux aboard.
If you’re looking for a long shot—and are prone to wishful thinking—it’s hard to ignore the payout should Coldwater, ridden by veteran jockey Walter De La Cruz, overcome those 50/1 moneyline odds to win.