Betting Preview and Prediction for the 2022 Ironman World Championship
The COVID-19 pandemic has starved triathlon fanatics of the Ironman World Championship for the past two years. However, the sport’s most prestigious event is set to make its long-awaited return on May 7.
The grueling race usually takes place in Kona, Hawaii. But due to the effects of the pandemic, the Ironman World Championship 2022 will take place in St. George, Utah – almost 3,000 miles away from its spiritual home.
Despite the recent withdrawals of high-profile athletes such as Jan Frodeno and Lucy Charles-Barclay, excitement is beginning to grow ahead of the race. So, it feels like the perfect time to publish my 2022 Ironman World Championship betting guide.
This preview contains tips for how and where to bet on the Ironman World Championship. I also examine the event’s history, analyze the contenders, and share my 2022 Ironman World Championship prediction.
Where to Bet on the 2022 Ironman World Championship
I don’t have a specific site to point you to just yet, as there currently are no odds for the 2022 Ironman World Championship. You can bet on anything these days, however, so that could be rectified in short order.
That said, it’s wise to at least get ready to place your bets. When you’re ready to hunt down the best Ironman World Championship betting sites, be sure to consider the following.
- Safety and Security – First and foremost, our recommendations are among the safest betting sites out there. They are also among the most trusted and reputable names in the online gambling industry.
- Top Ironman World Championship Odds – Although the bookmakers have yet to publish their odds for the 2022 Ironman World Championship, you can rest assured that our recommended sites will have the best prices.
- Lucrative Bonuses and Promotions – From sign-up bonuses to evergreen promotions, all of the top Ironman World Championship betting sites have attractive offers to take advantage of.
- Multiple Banking Options – Our trusted sportsbooks offer various banking options, including debit and credit cards, e-wallets, bank transfers, and even some cryptocurrencies.
- Fast Payouts – Everyone likes to get their hands on their winnings as soon as possible, right? You will be pleased to learn that the best Ironman World Championship betting sites offer speedy payouts.
- Excellent Customer Support – If you have any queries, our recommended sportsbooks are easily contactable via telephone and email. Some sites even have a live chat function.
On top of all that, our favored sites offer a wide range of markets and mobile gambling opportunities. What more could you ask for?
I suppose actual Ironman World Championship betting sites, am I right? Once odds pop up, I’ll update this section for our preferred options. For now, you know what to look for, and what our favorite sites will feature.
Analyzing Previous Ironman World Championship Results
The next section of this 2022 Ironman World Championship betting preview looks at the event’s recent history. Ultimately, analyzing past results and winners will give you an edge when making your predictions for this year’s race.
Who Won the Last Ironman World Championship?
The last Ironman World Championship took place back in October 2019. Interestingly, both the men’s and women’s races were won by German athletes.
Jan Frodeno won the men’s race with a time of 7:51:13, setting a new overall course record in the process. More than eight minutes ahead of America’s Tom O’Donnell, he finished in second place.
|JAN FRODENO – 2019 IRONMAN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP|
Remarkably, this was Frodeno’s third victory in five years. After finishing third in 2014, the Olympic gold medalist won back-to-back Ironman World Championships in 2015 and 2016 before triumphing again in 2019.
Posting a time of 8:40:10, Anne Haug won the women’s race. The German finished more than six minutes clear of England’s Lucy Charles-Barclay and more than eight minutes ahead of Australia’s Sarah Crowley.
|ANNE HAUG – 2019 IRONMAN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP|
After finishing third in the 2018 Ironman World Championship, Haug clinched her first title in 2019. It is also worth noting that Charles-Barclay finished second for three straight years between 2017 and 2019.
The video below shows you just how grueling this race is. All athletes must complete a 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike ride, and 26.2-mile run. Rather them than me!
Past 10 Ironman World Championship Winners
Let’s examine the last ten Ironman World Championship winners. This should stand you in good stead when making your 2022 Ironman World Championship prediction.
|LAST TEN IRONMAN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WINNERS|
|Year||Men’s Winner||Women’s Winner|
|2010||Chris McCormack||Mirinda Carfrae|
|2011||Craig Alexander||Chrissie Wellington|
|2012||Pete Jacobs||Leanda Cave|
|2013||Frederik Van Lierde||Mirinda Carfrae|
|2014||Sebastian Kienle||Mirinda Carfrae|
|2015||Jan Frodeno||Daniela Ryf||2016||Jan Frodeno||Daniela Ryf|
|2017||Patrick Lange||Daniela Ryf|
|2018||Patrick Lange||Daniela Ryf|
|2019||Jan Frodeno||Anne Haug|
As you can see, Frodeno has dominated the men’s race in recent years – winning three of the past five titles. Patrick Lange claimed back-to-back crowns in 2017 and 2018, meaning each of the last six men’s races has been won by a German.
In the women’s race, Daniela Ryf won a whopping four straight titles between 2015 and 2018 after finishing second in 2014. That means the iconic Swiss athlete has secured five podiums in the past six races.
So, who will win the 2022 Ironman World Championship? It’s time to look at the top contenders for this year’s race.
Who Is Favored to Win the Ironman World Championship 2022?
The big news surrounding the men’s race is that Frodeno will not be in Utah. The three-time defending champion has sustained an Achilles tendon tear and will therefore miss the opportunity to defend his title.
That means Sebastian Kienle is now many peoples’ Ironman World Championship predicted winner for the men’s race. You only have to glance at his impressive record to understand why.
Is Sebastian Kienle the Man to Beat?
At 37, it’s fair to say that Kienle is no spring chicken. But after finishing third in the 2019 Ironman World Championship, he will be confident of returning to the top of the podium this year.
The German has registered four top-three finishes across the past seven races. After finishing third in 2013, he won the event in 2014 – finishing almost five minutes clear of America’s Ben Hoffman. Since then, he has recorded finishes of 2nd and 3rd.
- 2013: 3rd
- 2014: 1st
- 2016: 2nd
- 2019: 3rd
It is also worth pointing out that Kienle has enjoyed huge success in the Ironman 70.3 World Championship over the years. He claimed back-to-back triumphs in 2012 and 2013 before finishing second in 2015 and 2016.
We are still waiting for the bookies to release their 2022 Ironman World Championship odds. However, I expect Kienle’s name to be right at the top of the list once the prices are published.
Can Anne Haug Defend Her Crown?
Due to a stress fracture in her hip, Charles-Barclay will not compete in the Ironman World Championship 2022. That means Haug is favored to defend the title that she won in 2019.
The German will wear the #F1 bib in Utah after dominating the women’s race in Hawaii three years ago. But has she got what it takes to fend off rivals like Ryf and Laura Philipp to secure back-to-back titles?
If her performance at the 2021 Europe Triathlon Challenge Long Distance Championships is anything to go by, she should be more than ready to defend her World Championship crown.
Although Haug celebrated her 39th birthday in January, she is still performing at an elite level. Plus, she knows what it takes to win the World Championship – giving her an edge over most other athletes.
Other 2022 Ironman World Championship Contenders
Of course, the 2022 Ironman World Championship betting odds have yet to be released. But that can’t stop us from inspecting the other leading contenders. The athletes below will likely be among the favorites when the prices are out.
Who Could Stop Kienle in the Men’s Race?
- Gustav Iden – Gustav Iden maybe just be 25, but he has already achieved more than most triathletes. Having won the Ironman 70.3 World Championship in 2019 and 2021, the Norwegian is ready to compete for the top prize.
- Ben Hoffman – After finishing second in the 2014 World Championship, Ben Hoffman clinched back-to-back Ironman African Championship crowns in 2016 and 2017. He is expected to mount a serious challenge for the title in Utah.
- Kristian Blummenfelt – It’s safe to say that Kristian Blummenfelt has enjoyed a memorable couple of years. The Norwegian won triathlon gold at the 2020 Olympics before triumphing at the 2021 World Triathlon Series. Can he add a World Championship title to his collection?
- Alistair Brownlee – Alistair Brownlee wrote his name into Olympic history by becoming the only athlete to win two triathlon golds. Having finished second in the Ironman 70.3 World Championship in 2018 and 2019, he will fancy his chances of triumphing in Utah.
Who Are Haug’s Main Rivals in the Women’s Race?
- Daniela Ryf – This legend needs to introduction. All you need to know is that Daniela Ryf won four consecutive Ironman World Championship titles between 2015 and 2018. Nobody would be shocked if she triumphed once again this year.
- Laura Philipp – Laura Philipp finished fourth in her Ironman World Championship debut in 2019. The German heads into the 2022 World Championship on the back of an impressive victory at last month’s Ironman 70.3 in Dubai.
- Heather Jackson – Having claimed third place at the 2016 Ironman World Championship, Heather Jackson knows what it takes to reach the podium. Can the 37-year-old American finally finish atop the podium on home soil?
- Skye Moench – Skye Moench will wear the #F6 bib in Utah after climbing the world rankings over the past few years. Although she has yet to secure a World Championship podium, it feels like 2022 could be the year she challenges for the crown.
2022 Ironman World Championship Betting Tips
Before we get to my 2022 Ironman World Championship prediction, let’s go over some useful Ironman World Championship betting tips. Hopefully, the tips below will help you win money in this year’s race.
Understand Betting Odds Before You Begin
This may seem obvious, but you must understand how betting odds work before you wager on the Ironman World Championship.
As I already mentioned, we are still waiting for the 2022 Ironman World Championship odds. But if you get up to speed on everything there is to know; you will be ready to make some winning bets when the best sports betting sites release the prices.
Lucky for you, we have an entire page dedicated to understanding betting odds. Follow the link below to learn about the basics of odds, different odds formats, probability, and lots more.
Brush Up on Your Sports Betting Strategy
It goes without saying that the sports of triathlon and Ironman are not your average sports. The mixture of swimming, cycling, and running makes these events extremely unique, which can deter bettors.
However, it is important to remember that there are plenty of betting strategies that relate to all sports. Although betting on the Ironman World Championship may feel strange, several basic strategies can help.
Some of these strategies are preparation and planning, analyzing data, and assessing probability. You can learn more about sports betting strategies by following the link below.
Analyze the Ironman World Championship Qualifying Times
Studying the qualifying times for the Ironman World Championship 2022 is a great way to gain an edge on the bookmakers. Again, this is a simple step that can make a huge difference.
There are usually several races in the lead-up to the World Championship, giving us plenty of data information to analyze. You can get an idea of which athletes to back by studying the times of recent races.
If a high-profile athlete is in good form before the World Championship, backing them to win is a good idea. On the flip side, you may be able to find a lesser-known athlete who could upset the Ironman World Championship odds.
Prediction for the 2022 Ironman World Championship Winner
- My Pick for the Men’s Race Winner: Gustav Iden
- My Pick for the Women’s Race Winner: Laura Philipp
It’s time to wrap things up by finalizing my 2022 Ironman World Championship predictions and picks.
Gustav Iden is my pick for the men’s race, having clinched the Ironman 70.3 World Championship title in 2019 and 2021. Naturally, he will face stiff competition from guys like Kienle and Blummenfelt. But it feels like he is ready to claim the crown.
As for the women’s race, I’m backing Laura Philipp to triumph. Fresh from beating out four-time champion Ryf at last month’s Ironman 70.3 in Dubai, the German looks like the best bet to reign supreme in Utah.
Head over to our sports blog for more content like this. Of course, we cover all the mainstream sports. But we also love to cover the more obscure events such as the Ironman World Championship.