Horse Racing Betting Sites for Australia
Do you want to bet on Australian horse races? It’s never been easier to start betting online than it is today. You can place bets from your computer, laptop, smartphone, and tablet. All you need is a device and internet access.
Oh, and you need an Australian horse racing betting site to join, too. We can help you there! This page teaches you everything you need to start placing bets on your favorite horses and races, including the following list of the best sites for betting on horse racing from Australia.
|Rank||VA Betting Site||Exclusive Bonus||Products||Get Started|
||100% Up To $300||
||Visit Site||Woo Casino|
||225% Up To $2,250||
||Visit Site||Aussie Play|
||100% Up To C$1,500||
||Visit Site||PlayAmo Casino|
||250% Up To $2,500||
||Visit Site||Uptown Pokies|
||100% Up To $1,500||
If you want to start placing real money bets right now, we recommend you join one of these top-rated horse racing betting sites for Australians.
We vetted each site and can guarantee you won’t find a safer betting site with more betting options and promotions than these.
You can also continue reading below. We explain how we choose which Australian horse betting sites to recommend and what you can expect to find from each one.
Safe Australian Horse Racing Betting Sites
Safety and security are crucial if you want to bet online because there are a lot of shady horse racing betting websites that accept Australians. Some of these betting sites operate illegally.
It’s safe to assume then, that these operators wouldn’t think twice about running away with your deposit. Do you want to worry about who you’re giving your credit card and personal information to?
For most people, that’s going to be a hard no. The point is that nothing else matters more than taking safety and security seriously.
That’s why we check for the following factors whenever we review a horse race gambling site for our Australian readers.
- Gambling License – Every betting site we recommend must have a gambling license. This means they applied, a gambling commission vetted them, and the commission approved them.
- Reputation – We research each site and the parent company. The goal is to find out whether the betting site in question has ever ripped off their customers.
Checking whether each site has a gambling license and a positive reputation tells us a lot. But it’s not all we look for.
We also double-check that the betting site uses an SSL certificate. This is used to secure all connections and data (login, credit card, etc.) that is entered from the web browser.
Finally, we check whether the online betting site tests and upgrades its software. Old software has weaknesses that potential hackers can abuse.
We don’t suggest Australian horse racing betting sites that are unsafe or insecure, so you have nothing to worry about if you join one of our recommended sites.
Deposits and Withdrawals at Online Betting Sites
You also want to consider your deposit and withdrawal options at each site. You don’t want to figure this out after the fact.
It’s important to choose an Australian horse racing betting website that has options you want to use. Their banking process should be easy to follow. And you’ll want to double-check that their banking options have reasonable limits, fees, and processing times.
Our reviews include all this information so you don’t have to find it yourself.
Here are the best banking options for Australian gamblers. Find a gambling site that accepts at least one of these options and you’ll have no problem funding and cashing out your account.
- Credit/Debit Cards – It’s hard to go wrong with credit/debit cards because they’re convenient, have reasonable limits, low fees, and quick processing times.
- UPayCard – This e-wallet is akin to Skrill, Neteller, and PayPal. You can use UPayCard for both deposits and cashouts.
- Neosurf – This voucher comes in multiple denominations ranging from 10 to 200 credits. You can buy credits from 1 of 135,000 POS machines around the world.
- Bitcoin – Bitcoin is an excellent banking option because it provides perks such as anonymity, fast processing times, low/high banking limits, and much more.
- Paysafecard – This prepaid card acts as a buffer between the betting site and your bank account. This is a great banking option to use if you want another layer of security and privacy.
Unfortunately, e-wallet brands such as Skrill, PayPal, and Neteller no longer serve Australian bettors. You’ll have to make do with the options above.
The good news is that these options are readily available and accepted, and they accommodate a wide range of limits, fees, and processing timeframes that should work for any bettor.
Online Horse Racing Betting Bonuses and Promotions
A major benefit to gambling online instead of at your local sportsbook is that almost all online horse racing betting sites that accept Australians offer bonuses and promotions.
These deals offer value in the form of extra money to bet with or benefits that offset the money you spend on their site.
The following is a shortlist of the most common offers you should look for and look forward to if you choose to bet online.
Most sign-up bonuses nowadays are match bonuses. A match bonus is an offer from the betting site to match a percentage of your deposit. How much you get depends on the percentage and the cap.
For example, say you make a $500 deposit and claimed a 100% match bonus up to $1,000. The betting site will give you $1 for every $1 you deposit, up to a total of $1,000.
Since you deposited $500, the online racebook will give you $500, which means you’ll have $1,000 to bet with. Sign-up bonuses vary from site to site. The cap or the percentage can be different, and so on.
Here’s how a horse racing rebate works. You’ll make your bets one week. And if you lose money overall, the betting site will give you a rebate on your net losses from that week in the following week.
The rebate amount varies, but 8% is standard.
For example, say you wagered $200 this week and lost $100 after collecting your winnings. The sportsbook pays 8%, which means you’ll receive $8 in your account sometime the following week.
A free bet isn’t what it sounds like. The sportsbook is not going to give you $20 or $50 or whatever to bet with.
Free bets are like insurance. You place a bet and, if it wins, you get nothing. But if your bet loses, the sportsbook reimburses you. The max reimbursement depends on the site.
Each betting site handles free bets differently. This includes how much they’ll reimburse you, the types of horse races or events you can bet on, the odds you must bet, and so on.
Best Odds Guaranteed
Most racebooks give you a choice of odds, either the current odds or the odds at the start of the race (the starting odds).
Some sportsbooks have a “best odds guaranteed” offer that’ll give you the best price regardless of when you make your bet.
If you opt-in for the early price (and you should) and the odds get any longer, you’ll get those odds. And you’ll get a better price.
The offer types listed above are the most common promotions you can expect to find from online horse racing betting sites for Australia.
Keep in mind that the type of offer and offer terms vary from site to site. You’ll want to research each offer (or read our reviews) to find the best deal for you.
Software at Australian Horse Betting Sites
Another area we review is the betting site’s software. This includes the features they offer and their mobile betting options.
The platform itself is important because some betting sites are easier to use than others. The ideal betting platform is easy to use and navigate. And the lines should be easy to read and add to your betting slip.
It’s a bonus if the platform gives you the option to customize your screen. That way, you only see the horse races and other types of gambling you want to wager on.
Features are important, too. The following are some of our favorites.
- Live Betting – The option to wager on a race once that race has started.
- Live Streaming – The option to watch a livestream of the race on the betting platform.
- Early Cash Outs – The option to end your bet early. This is a neat feature because you can cash out and minimize your losses or even guarantee a profit.
Other features we look for include the option to choose the type of odds you see (fractional, decimal, American, Hong Kong, etc.). It’s also a bonus when a sportsbook offers tips, sports data, and other media to help you make more educated bets.
We also test each Australian horse race betting site’s mobile options. This means double-checking that their website is mobile-friendly or if they have a native gambling app you can download to your smartphone or tablet.
Horse racing betting apps are the way to go if you plan to make most of your bets from your mobile device.
Betting Site Terms and Conditions
Too many people don’t bother to read the terms and conditions. Who can blame them? Betting site terms use tiny font, require a doctorate to read and understand, and they’re boring.
You need to try anyway. A site’s terms or “house rules” can have a major impact on your experience. We cover the major terms in our reviews, but it’s a good idea to read them on the site before you join since they change frequently.
Here are the most important terms and conditions to look for.
- Withdrawal Limits – This includes how much you can cash out from the sportsbook every month. Some sites have limits as low as $3,000 per month, while others have no maximum.
- Rollover Requirements – Bonuses have rollover requirements that require you to wager a multiple of your bonus before you can cash out your winnings. For example, if you claim a $150 bonus with a 2x rollover, you’d have to wager $300 ($150*2x rollover) before you could request a withdrawal.
- Promotion Terms – This includes terms such as the minimum odds you need to bet, the specific races you can bet on, how much of your winnings you can cash out, the types of bets you can make, and more.
- Dormant Account Management or Closure – If you don’t log into or use your account for 90, 180, or 365 days (or more), many sportsbooks will either charge you a monthly maintenance fee or close your account.
- Betting Limits – Nearly every online sportsbook will have limits on how much you can bet on a race. Other than the sportsbook, betting limits depends on the race and type of bet you make.
- Betting Terms – This includes what the sportsbook will do if there are technical problems or if they cancel a race.
- Company Terms – This includes excusing the sportsbook of any responsibility for the money you lose. It also includes terms regarding how you talk about the sportsbook in public, as well as consequences (i.e. banning your account) if you talk poorly about them.
The best Australian horse betting websites have reasonable house rules. And we only recommend those sites instead of sites with unfair house rules.
You’ll know a betting site with unfair house rules when you see one. Their rules do everything they can do keep you from cashing out your money or use technicalities to justify not paying you your winnings.
We don’t recommend these sites and you shouldn’t join one to bet on horse races online from Australia or anywhere else
Australian Horse Race Betting FAQ
What types of horse racing bets can you make?
These are the bets most commonly available to Australian horse racing bettors.
- Win – Choose which horse you think will win the race.
- Place / Each Way – Place bets are for choosing which horse you think will win first or second in the race. If you back your runner each way, you will receive the payout for the win and place bet if he finishes first. Or you’ll receive the place payout if he finished 2nd or 3rd.
- Quinella – Choose two or more horses to finish 1st and 2nd in any order.
- Exacta – Choose which horses you expect to finish in 1st and 2nd in that exact order.
- Trifecta – Choose which horses you expect to finish in the top three. This bet can be in order, standout (one horse to win only), multiple, or boxed.
- First Four – Same as a trifecta bet except this is on four horses instead of only three.
- Doubles – Pick the winners of two selected races.
- Treble – Pick the winners for three consecutive races.
- Quaddie – Pick the winners of four consecutive races.
The top-rated horse racing betting sites for Australia also often have exclusive deals or bets that you won’t find at other sportsbooks. It might be worth spending a little extra time reading reviews or researching betting sites if that’s something you’re into.
What’s the best bet to make?
Betting on which horse will win or place gives you a little bit of room for error.
The more specific your bet or the more complicated your bet, the harder it will be for you to win. However, if you do win, you can win a nice sum of money.
The best type of bet for you to make will consider your experience, bankroll, and your risk tolerance.
Which Australian horse races can you bet on?
The following are some of the major Australian horse races you can bet on.
- Mackinnon Stakes at Flemington Racecourse
- Caulfield Guineas at Caulfield Racecourse
- Kennedy Oaks at Flemington Racecourse
- Victoria Derby at Flemington Racecourse
- Golden Rose Stakes at Rosehill Racecourse
- Golden Slipper Stakes at Rosehill Gardens Racecourse
- Caulfield Cup at Caulfield Racecourse
- S. Cox Plate at Moonee Valley Racecourse
- Melbourne Cup at Flemington Racecourse
These races include Thoroughbred and flat racing. Purses for these races regularly exceed $1 million and are as high as $8 million AUD.
Australians will also have no problem finding action on horse races held elsewhere in the world, including Canada, the United States, and the United Kingdom.
What is the biggest horse race in Australia?
The biggest horse race in Australia is the Melbourne Cup. The purse was $8 million AUD in 2019.
This was a $700,000 increase over the previous year and an $1.8 million increase over the races ran in 2012-2017.
What is the richest horse race in Australia?
The richest horse race in Australia is The Everest, which is held at Randwick Racecourse in Sydney, Australia.
This race has a $600,000 entry fee. The purse was $14 million in 2019.
How much is the Australian horse racing industry worth?
Quite a bit!
An economic impact study released towards the end of 2018 revealed that the industry is worth $9 billion and provides more than 70,000 full-time jobs.
What are the best horse betting sites in Australia?
The sites we recommend are the best horse race betting sites for Australians. Any one of these betting sites are a great way to go if there’s not something specific you’re looking for.
You can also choose a betting site that specializes in a specific promotion (like deposit bonuses or rebates) or a specific race (like the Melbourne Cup or The Everest). We even have pages that recommend betting sites that specialize in specific banking options.
Whichever route you go, we recommend you join at least two racebooks if your bankroll can handle it. That way, you can price shop each race to find the best odds.
Start Betting Real Money on Horses
Australians wager billions annually on horse races, contributing to the $115+ billion spent each year in the entire industry.
You can be part of this action. There are loads of Australian horse race betting sites you can join that accepts wagers on all the major Australian horse races. That includes races like the Golden Rose Stakes, Melbourne Cup, Kennedy Oaks, and Mackinnon Stakes.
It couldn’t be any easier to get started either. Just make sure that you join a safe and legit site, a betting site you can trust with your hard-earned money and personal information.
You can find one of these sites on your own, but this would take lots of time and money to thoroughly review and test. You’ll take on some unnecessary risk, too.
If you want to start betting now, while risking as little time, money, and effort as possible, you should join one of our recommended horse racing betting sites for Australians.
We spend a lot of time vetting each one to ensure our readers are joining only the safest and most enjoyable racebooks on the internet.
Choose one the best Australian horse racing betting sites to join from our list now. You won’t regret it!